Is it worth upgrading ?

bulkylad
bulkylad Posts: 9
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
i have been riding again for a couple of months after a good 12 years off , time to lose the beer belly and get some fitness and have been really enjoying some quite technical rides (what i class as technical anyway ;) )around the peak district.

i bought a GT avalanche 1.0 2009 and am very happy with my purchase however i am a bit of an upgrade freak and wondered whether the gt was actually worth upgrading (having seen many a thread similar where a new purchase was recommended) , i definately won't be upgrading for a while unless something breaks but maybe a purchase around Christmas might be in order, what would be the best buy , or should i just save my money ?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    50/50 this one. By the time you have put better forks and hydro discs on, you might as well have bought a better bike really.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    As you're very happy with the bike, then you don't really need to upgrade

But things like tyres can lessen the weight of the bike quite cheaply (Folding Vs Wire bead)

What is the spec of the bike?
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • supersonic wrote:
    50/50 this one. By the time you have put better forks and hydro discs on, you might as well have bought a better bike really.

already has hydro brakes :) , ok entry level tektro auriga comp but they seem to work well , a new fork was something i would think about , but haven't i clue what to look at ? , would it really make a massive difference ??
    would have loved have bought a better bike but would definately have lost my nuts. . . . due to my wife removing them , she was happy for me to spend a couple of hundred , i had already pushed my luck :)

Current specs : stock apart from rear mech why it cam with XT is a mystery

Seat Post - Alloy Micro adjust
    • Grips - GT Dual Density ATB
    • Headset - Tange system for 1.1/8"
    • Saddle - WTB Pure V, with stitched cover and protective corners
    • Stem - GT ATB, 31. 8mm bar bore threadless 15 degree rise with four bolt alum face plate
    • Handlebar - GT Mtn Riser, 15 mm rise, 6061 heat treated, 31.8 mm clamp
    • Brake Levers - Tektro
    • Rear Brake - Tektro Auriga comp, hydraulic, dual piston, cold forged
    • Front Brake - Tektro Auriga comp, hydraulic, dual piston, cold forged
    • Nipples - Brass CP
    • Spokes - Stainless steel 14 gauge
    • Rear Hub - Shimano Disc 9 speed
    • Front Hub - Shimano Disc
    • Crankset / Chainwheel - FSA Alpha Drive 44/32/22
    • Bottom Bracket - FSA Sealed Bearing Cartridge
    • Pedals - Shimano PDM-520 clipless pedal with cleats
    • Tyres - Kenda Nevegal, 26 x 2.1
    • Chain - Shimano HG-53 Nine Speed
    • Rims - WTB SX-24 ATB black anodized
    • Rear Cogs - SRAM Nine speed index cassette 11-32
    • Rear Derailleur - Shimano deore XT
    • Shifters - Shimano Deore 9 speed separate
    • Front Derailleur - Shimano Deore
    • Fork - SR MAG-32, 100mm of travel w/. 32mm alum stanchions, magnesium lowers, with lock out, preload and hydraulic damping
    • Seat Clamp - GT Forged Alum QR
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For some odd reason I thought I'd read Avalanche 3.0! That is a nice, welll balanced set up - which menas nothing stands out as needing upgrading (or will cost a lot to make a difference).

But as Andy says, folding bead tyres can save weight cheaply.