Vuelta stage 9 *spoiler*

2»

Comments

• Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited September 2009
    Incompetent course-building again. Maybe the crowds pushing the barriers out during the afternoon. Still, if you take the inside line on a tight bend, that's a risk you have to accept.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Cadel should be happy to see the jersey go really.

Now if CAS could just rule in the next 10 days...

Strava is not Zen.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Was Samuel Sanchez the Euskatel coming in at 1:31? or did he lose even more time?
  • More telling than yesterday.
    Already, the GC is thinning out.
    Samu a big disappointment.
    Apparently, he is really suffering, after yesterday's fall.
    Basso impressed me the most. Not his type of climb.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Just seen this photo by Elmar Krings.
    Vino still as the legs!
    ek_vino2_600.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,871
    More telling than yesterday.
    Already, the GC is thinning out.
    Samu a big disappointment.
    Apparently, he is really suffering, after yesterday's fall.

sanchez can't take the pressure.... it's going to be hard for the podium..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Incompetent course-building again. Maybe the crowds pushing the barriers out during the afternoon. Still, if you take the inside line on a tight bend, that's a risk you have to accept.

gesink got there first...in a small group sprint like that you need to get to that corner first... valverde read it right and went wide...

evans has a sort of complaint but really choose a poor line IMO
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • FJS
    For the GC, Valverde and Evans looking solid, with Basso and Gesink right now the best other bets for the podium, Basso climbing a bit better, Gesink with a better TT. Still, both Evans and Valverde have their off-days....
    Sanchez and Danielson hanging on, the rest seems out of it for the overall.
  • Evans may not thank Gesink, but his team should.
    Valverde has a pretty impressive record, when it comes to winning GT leaders jerseys, only to lose them again, when it counts.
  • That's the reason I didn't pick Valverde for the overall. He always has one day when he loses concentration, he's said as much himself.

And I've said it enough about Evans, I just don't think he has a winner's mentality, he's happy just to try to organise the race to make sure he wins, rather going out there and winning the damn thing.
  • FJS
    Taaramae, who was overtaken by Marzano and Veloso just befor ethe summit, lost almost 9 minutes in the 3 km descent!!! :o His brakes must be melting....
  • FJS wrote:
    Taaramae, who was overtaken by Marzano and Veloso just befor ethe summit, lost almost 9 minutes in the 3 km descent!!! :o His brakes must be melting....

Haha, maybe he had a mechanical.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Basso impressed me the most. Not his type of climb.

He did look pretty calm and spent most of his time in the saddle. Looking good.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Ugh, I had to go out with 15km to go, so I Sky+ the cycling AND the women's football... I watch the cycling until the climb starts, then the recording cuts out... I switch to the recording of the football and it begins with the results coming up on screen :evil:
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Ugh, I had to go out with 15km to go, so I Sky+ the cycling AND the women's football... I watch the cycling until the climb starts, then the recording cuts out... I switch to the recording of the football and it begins with the results coming up on screen :evil:

http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozon ... n/1.593417
    Contador is the Greatest
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Just seen this photo by Elmar Krings.
    Vino still as the legs!
    ek_vino2_600.jpg

He just cant seem to put them to good use though
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • mididoctors
    Evans may not thank Gesink, but his team should.
    Valverde has a pretty impressive record, when it comes to winning GT leaders jerseys, only to lose them again, when it counts.

sounds like evans
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

He did look pretty calm and spent most of his time in the saddle. Looking good.

Ivan always looks good - Ask Timoid :wink:

I expect Valv will have his bad day at some critical point. Gesink is unknown in the 3rd week riding for overall. Evans - Well, it's interesting Sassi said he'd be better in the latter part of the race. Basso knows how to do 3 weeks.

Sanchez ain't done but he didn't look like he had it today.

Danielson could definately be the surprise package. Well, as much of a surprise as a guy who's finished in the top 10 twice I guess.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Danielson could definately be the surprise package. Well, as much of a surprise as a guy who's finished in the top 10 twice I guess.

Another rider who is definitely suspect, come the third week of a big race.
    Seems we have a great contest: "Who chokes least, wins."

Ah....the power of "The Cati"....
    111 Rein Taaramäe (Est) Cofidis 0:08:47 :shock:
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    Rein Taaramäe stoped after being overtaken

You can see the picture in this spanish forum:

http://apmforo.mforos.com/1304526/89325 ... 0#79121499

Who said Vuelta is boring? :wink:
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • victorponf wrote:

You can see the picture in this spanish forum:

http://apmforo.mforos.com/1304526/89325 ... 0#79121499

Who said Vuelta is boring? :wink:

Wow, thanks for posting. He really looked like he was struggling on that climb.

Not sure why people say the Vuelta is boring. I like it a lot, I like the roads, I like the Spanish riders and I like the fact that it is nearly as commercial as the Giro or the Tour.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS

gesink got there first...in a small group sprint like that you need to get to that corner first... valverde read it right and went wide...

evans has a sort of complaint but really choose a poor line IMO

Apparently after the finish yesterday Evans was so angry he got seriously aggressive and tried to headbutt Gesink :o ...

I'd love to have been able to see cuddles jump; Gesink is 6 ft 2 :lol:
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    victorponf wrote:

1252343489_extras_albumes_0.jpg

Ouch - that's gotta hurt..........blowing to bits just before the top of the climb when you're out alone in front :(
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    I think these heroic efforts is what makes cycling so special. I mean this guy pushed himself so hard in the quest for victory that when he blew up he even had to stop.....and he has to make it to the finish to repeat the same thing again today!!

I think we can all relate to having felt a bit like this at some point; the way he struggeled up the hill when you see the pro riders trying to look more relaxed. Much respect he managed to go so deep though :)
  • This will have gone down very well in France, they absolutely love him over there, he's like an honorary French man because he's built his career in French teams.
  • jim one wrote:
    I think these heroic efforts is what makes cycling so special. I mean this guy pushed himself so hard in the quest for victory that when he blew up he even had to stop.....and he has to make it to the finish to repeat the same thing again today!!

I think we can all relate to having felt a bit like this at some point; the way he struggeled up the hill when you see the pro riders trying to look more relaxed. Much respect he managed to go so deep though :)

Yes this is absolutely true. I could wax lyrical about this sort of thing!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Bronzie wrote:
    victorponf wrote:

1252343489_extras_albumes_0.jpg
    (

That's known round my way as:

No change!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.