TransCambrian sportive, 6th Sept any comments about it?

pedalrog
pedalrog Posts: 633
Just wondering what folks thoughts are about this?
My own thoughts: good route although as it repeats each year it could get boring after a few of these events.
Well organised - shame last years t-shirt was replaced by a bottle though, plenty of food on the way round, helpful and friendly marshals, at £20 better value than a lot of sportives.
To get gold is a real challenge; respect to those who managed it.

Comments

• dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    Yep I'd echo all of that, excellent signage, feed stops, good meal at the end too made it very good vfm. Thought the standards were set too high though, can't imagine many made the gold standard - anyone know who was taking the official pics?
  • dbg
    Yep I'd echo all of that, excellent signage, feed stops, good meal at the end too made it very good vfm. Thought the standards were set too high though, can't imagine many made the gold standard - anyone know who was taking the official pics?
  • dbg
  • I'd go with that too, Although the t-shirt was no big loss, you normally pay £10 extra for them at the bigger Sportives and they cost more to enter too. Looks like Clive used that money to improve the food stations which is imo much more beneficial than a cheap event T.

This event is awesome, scenery is great, directions are very well done, food on route was better than at any event I have done this year, sandwiches, crisps, fruit, gels and bars a plenty.

Very happy an extra 13 miles were not stuck in there just to make it 100 miles - that always annoys me!

Suggestions for next year? Ban the wind! how can there be 87 miles of headwind???!

photos will be available from www.georgeburgessphotography.com from tomorrow by the looks of the website. (8th Sep)

Having done the Etape Caledonia, Bike Radar Live, Dragon, Devil & Transcambrian this year I would say it is second only to the Dragon ride route wise and top of the tree for food stations.

Muchos fun.
    the day I stop dreaming of upgrades is the day die!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3370/3261181810_727612440a_o.jpg My Stable
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302

Very happy an extra 13 miles were not stuck in there just to make it 100 miles - that always annoys me!

Suggestions for next year? Ban the wind! how can there be 87 miles of headwind???!

Muchos fun.

Lol couldn't agree more on that one - only managed to get in a group for about 15 minutes of the whole ride and the average speed went up about 5mph! :roll: It's a nicely low key event but still well organised with lots of food and drink at the stations. Will be there next year more than likely and praying for a nice September high pressure system to come in and kill the wind!
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • For me, a really enjoyable ride. I'm a sportive novice this year, and have done the Etape Caledonia and the Dragon Grand Fondo - but this was the toughest. I over cooked the first half, cramped up at Talybont, but was fortunate enough to have a clubmate who towed me back while I span up the hills and tried to deal with the strong Southerly. Initially gutted to miss silver by 35 seconds, I have got over it and realised those Gold and Silvers really had to be earned - chapeau to those who did so.
    I thought the organisation was very good, the signage excellent and the scenery superb. The mountain road between Llanidloes and Machnlleth was amongst the most spectacular I've seen on a bike. Can't wait to see some photos ,especially if any of them make me appear thin and fit.
    Fat Bloke On A Bike
  • Just emailed the photographer - photos should be up from Friday. @fatboab - he must be busy photoshopping them as we speak!
    the day I stop dreaming of upgrades is the day die!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3370/3261181810_727612440a_o.jpg My Stable
  • It'll take longer than that to Photoshop me lean and fit!
    Fat Bloke On A Bike
  • Hi All

Pics went up a few days ago. Thanks for your patience. Hope you all enjoyed the ride!

I've been super busy since I got back home!!

Many thanks

George

www.georgeburgessphotography.com