Creaking noises

bradford
bradford Posts: 195
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
I keep hearing creaking noises coming from crank,bb area when i am riding out of the saddle.What could this be?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Could be one of 20 things. Loose BB, chainring bolt, crank bolt among the favourite options but biggest culprit often is pedals needing tightened Really tightened up hard in crankarm.
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    I have the same problem.

I un did my flats and re oiled, and then put them back on, problem solved.

jammed wet oil in the spaces of the axle as I could not open them up to grease.
  • Hey Bradford

Ive just replaced my BB in my Terrago 01 / 02. A full strip down revealed the thing was seized, the bearings had their day. A quick check is remove the chain onto the Bracket housing / shell and turn the crank by hand if its nice and smooth then follow the tips above. If its rough, time for a change.

A quick repair if your planning on doing it yourself. Just remember the drive side is left hand thread ie. lefty tighty righty loosy! (in most cases)

Regards

Stu
    Giant Propel Advanced 3
    Giant Defy 0
    Giant Rapid Advanced 0 Road
    Scott CR1 SL
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Woodywmb wrote:
    but biggest culprit often is pedals needing tightened Really tightened up hard in crankarm.
    It is indeed a common culprit. A bit of grease on the threads sorts it out.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • I had this exact same problem. the creaking got quite bad and loud too!

I took the crank arms off, gave them a good clean and re greased the threads. I also removed the pedals and greased them too.

Make sure you tighten the cranks and pedals properly and the creaking should (fingers crossed stop). Rarely is it the bottom bracket.

Good luck with it.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • Cheers for the advice guys! Will try and get to the source of the problem or maybe its the bike thats garbage!! (coyote vermont 09).
  • Have deciided to get rid of the bike!!The chain snapped the other day,only done about 100 miles,been nothing but trouble since i bought it.Problems with the brakes,headset,forks,bearings,spokes, none of which work properly! Quite a humbleing experience after having a Marin nail trail 07 which was stolen and just bought this one to put me on for bit.Just shows that buying cheap bikes off the net can be a recipe for diasater BEWARE!!! Off to weigh up my options.