Cumberland Challenge - good do

Just back home from a long day doing the Cumberland Challenge. Cracking event - efficient registration and start, amongst the best marshalls ever (shows the difference between volunteers and students on a day rate), excellent food stops with more friendly, helpful volunteers and a route which bit me, for one, very hard on the bum!

I know lots of people said the second half is "to be reckoned with" but of course we were still unconvinced - its only about 50 miles, and the profile shows it's almost flat. And after the climb through Banks we thought it was - a lovely undulating road along the side of the valley with the wind behind.

And then it turned left... I didn't know there were that many valleys between Brampton and the Scottish border! Loads of the beggars, down into one then out again. Final food stop came a little late but was definitely needed - and more friendly people forcing cheese butties down us!

Reasonably happy with a total time of 6:46 with a moving time of just over 6:30, so averaging over 16mph.

Many thanks to all involved - organisers, marshals, volunteers, the school - and also my fellow sufferers - you all made a great day out. Cheers!

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1

well run - enthuiastic and slick. Photos at the end were also really good, and easy to sort out. The last dibber stop was a bit late I agree, as I'd run out of liquids about 5 miles earlier, but that's a minor niggle on what was a very good event.

Course was deceptively tough I thought. Up and down all day. I think Hartside in the other direction would have been fun though.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    edited September 2009
    My fourth Cumberland Challenge. I had a puncture at about 12 miles, faffed around fixing it and then rode to Brampton with about 70psi in the back tyre. I was able to get the tyre up to pressure with a track pump in Brampton, but any hope of a good time had long gone. I hammered the last half but got nowhere near last year's time of 6 hours 26. I had to settle for 6 hours 57 minutes. It was a shame because I was going well.
    As always it was brilliantly organised and the weather was distinctly Autumnal (windy and intermittently wet).
  • Add me this list, really excellent event I thought, loved the Hartside climb too.

Will be back next year for sure.
  • "6hrs 67mins" - isn't that 7hrs 7mins? ;-)
  • nickwill
    "6hrs 67mins" - isn't that 7hrs 7mins? ;-)
    Edited to say 57 minutes! :oops:
    Just goes to show how knackered I am!
  • Maddog 2 thank you for mentioning the photo service. It was at the Cumberland Challenge last year that we decided to try and offer onsite bib number searching at an event. One year and many $$ later we are proud to be able to offer this service at events. Sounds like you had a great day and we hope you found a good photo to remind you of it for many years to come.
    My-Bib-Number.
    The only event photographers to offer an onsite automated bib number search system.
    www.mybibnumber.com
  • Hey Nickwill, why did your change your time man, it gave me an idea on how to put my time up, although it's nowhere near you fast boys times :oops:

Our time (me and 636sean) was 6 hours 109 mins. :wink:

Despite being one the slowest it didn't put me off and will definitely be back next. So will Sean, although he won't commit to it just at the moment :wink:

I thought it was an EXCELLENT event, very well marshalled, lots of lovely ham sarnies for refuelling, although agree that the last one was a bit far (too close to the finish)? I asked them for pies to be available next year, I could have murder a pie with mashed potatoes and peas and gravy at that last feed station :shock:

We thought the pics being available at the finish was an excellent idea (I refrained from the one of me with a mouth full of malt loaf - I looked 'special' in that one :? )

I can just ask, did anyone else measure the distance at more than 105 miles? Both myself and Sean clocked it at over 107 (from start line to finish line). No wonder it took us so long, we went further than everyone else :wink::wink:
  • MBN - yep - another great innovation that made the day.

Now if you could arrange for the pictures to make me look a little less, well, "portly", I think you'll have a winner.
  • LL - I had 106.8m - assumed it was from weaving with exhaustion...
  • nickwill
    I always get it at almost exactly 107 miles. I think they have got the distance wrong in the first half, as the later distances seem to tally ( each one just 2 miles over the claimed distance).
  • It was a little confusing as we thought we had missed the last feed station and could have really done with some food. I remembered passing Bewcastle and thinking their mileage was 2 miles shorter than I had on my computer, and it was.

Ah well, out to be my P.B. next year then.

I think I'm a little worried as I enjoyed that more than the 100 mile Cyclone, and that had a lot less climbing, over 500 metres less.
  • nickwill
    Lard Lover, you weren't the guy I met on the second leg were you? We talked about the Cyclone which had been your first sportive and you were wondering how this one compared. I was on a red Hewitt wearing a light blue Colomba wool jersey. If so I was wondering how you had got on!
  • Hey Nick, nope sorry, that wasn't me. I did see you pass me though (not unless there was someone else wearing a Colomba jersey? :shock: ) , before Newcastleton. I was riding with Sean, I was on a Parlee, Sean was on a Spesh Roubaix.

This year was my 2nd Cyclone, last year I did the 60, this year the 100.
  • Lard lover maybe you will not look "special" in the others ....new images are now posted online ...WELL DONE ALL !
    The only event photographers to offer an onsite automated bib number search system.
    www.mybibnumber.com
  • maddog 2
    I got 107 on my computer too.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • You're right My-Bib-Number, I don't look as 'special' in the others.

Right, come on then fellow Cumberland Challengers, lets put some faces to names.
    Here's the link to My-Bib-Numbers site, my bib number was 479 (I'm pictured with 636sean):
  • 533 - looking decidedly plumper than my mental image of myself!
  • maddog 2
    mmm white shorts LardLover....

I'm 219
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    mmm white shorts LardLover....

I'm 219

Oh yes, and boy do I make them look good :wink:
  • Hey Nickwill, yep, remember seeing you (pass Sean and myself shortly before that top left hand photo was taken).
  • nickwill
    I've written a brief blog account of my experiences on the event.
    http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... 363&page=1
  • Well I was not able to do it this year. :cry: But, despite the many glowing reports, having seen the photos I'm not sorry. The Cumberland challange is supposed to have lots of rain and I'm a traditionalist :shock:
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • Lard what a great idea to post your numbers and get a look at the other bloggers in action. You all look mighty fine I must say, though I suppose we are a tad bias :) We have thought about having a wall of pain on our web page but non of you guys look nearly tired enough to make it.

Any feedback on our service is welcomed is there anything you think we could do better or change ..all feedback will be carefully considered.... thank you !!

Dave are you doing the Pedal for Scotland ride ? (http://www.pedalforscotland.org/) Not sure if we will get rain there either, I heard the forecast is good !
    www.mybibnumber.com
  • Hey M-B-N

that Wall Of Pain picture wall sounds like a great idea. However, for it to work, and for you to get some great pics of riders in pain, I think all the marshalls etc need not to be so nice and supportive to the riders :wink:

just my humble opinion of course :D
  • Lard what a great idea to post your numbers and get a look at the other bloggers in action. You all look mighty fine I must say, though I suppose we are a tad bias :) We have thought about having a wall of pain on our web page but non of you guys look nearly tired enough to make it.

Any feedback on our service is welcomed is there anything you think we could do better or change ..all feedback will be carefully considered.... thank you !!

You got some great shots of me ( number 308 ) and Lardy but maybe try and get some sideways on shots so you get a view of the bike as well?
    Just a thought...