Back on a bike after 15 years!!!!!

Cliff J
Cliff J Posts: 15
edited September 2009 in Your mountain bikes
Hi all,

I'm new here :D I'm Cliff from High Wycombe. I recently bought a bike to try and get fit after a 15/16 year absence from riding and after deciding my fitness levels were pretty much rock bottom. At the age of nearly 38 I really need to sort my life out.

I bought a Trek 3700 to get me off my couch and onto a saddle, and I'm absolutely loving it too :D But, I'm really feeling the pain in my legs and my body is battered from falling off too many times, buying a helmet this week, especially after yesterdays ride which left me cut and bruised all over :lol:

Here is our ride out from yesterday..........

A few small jumps and some general mucking about...........

Img_9743.jpg

Img_9745.jpg

Img_9748.jpg

Img_9758.jpg

Some downtime :D

Img_9744.jpg

And some REAL downtime......

Img_9761.jpg

Img_9762.jpg

Img_9763.jpg

Yep !! It really hurt too but it's all part of the fun :D

Thanks to my friend Paulo Palmer for the pictures :lol:

Comments

• lol cliff, it is all part of the fun :D

and good technique , are you an ex para? :D:lol:
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Good fall :lol:

Riding in the park is back on!

Oh, and nice bike!
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    LMFAO at the crash :lol:

even better that its in the water
    shame its not on video - £250 on you've been framed lol :D
    keep up the good work
  • Whytepeak
    It ain't fun to fall into water :roll:

Fell into a stream today when looking for new trails :lol:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • I didn't realise I would be so low on confidence after my 15/16 year gap, but I really am!!! :? Even a big wide downhill road at 30mph scares the life outa me now :lol:

Most of my little accidents have been caused by a panic pull on the front brake.........must remove that!!! :lol:
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    Cliff J wrote:
    I didn't realise I would be so low on confidence after my 15/16 year gap, but I really am!!! :? Even a big wide downhill road at 30mph scares the life outa me now :lol:

Most of my little accidents have been caused by a panic pull on the front brake.........must remove that!!! :lol:
    use the rear brake then :lol:

:oops:

start trying to get in a flow while riding more techinical stuff and you'll get the hang of it after sometime
  • Whytepeak
    Learn to ignore the impulse to break in sketchy situations, it will almost always result in a crash.
  • Ha Ha Ha Classic , a bit like myself 3 months ago regular ride outs to some trails sorts out ya confidence , balance and other old skills you used to have ! it has for me anyway . if you are up for a ride drop me a PM i love it up at Wycombe !
  • I use my back brake way too much, my back tyre is proof of that already, I just love skidding again :lol: I've definitely retarded since I bought the bike :lol:
    My jumps are getting better, I land quite well now, confidence is just starting to build up as I get more saddle time.

chubby666 - Are you from Wycombe or just ride there? I drive over to Downley to a friends house, we then ride up to Tinkers wood, down through the woods and over to Hughenden park. It's not a huge ride but while I'm still building up my leg muscles and stamina it's adequate.
  • 8)

great pics, nice to hear your having fun and back into biking, get yourself some gloves and a crash hat for your stunt riding though!
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy
  • On a more serious note cliffy i reckon some riser bars that are wider would give you more control and up your confidence a treat. :)
  • chubby666 - Are you from Wycombe or just ride there? I drive over to Downley to a friends house, we then ride up to Tinkers wood, down through the woods and over to Hughenden park. It's not a huge ride but while I'm still building up my leg muscles and stamina it's adequate.[/quote]

No Cliff i'm not from Wycombe , from the other side of Bracknell from you , i used to work all around Wycombe though ! would'nt mind riding up and around the area
  • SPIRO
    SPIRO Posts: 200
    Welcome back to biking cliff

X2 for the suggestion of getting a wider riser bar. I reckon i am not far off your size and have found a bigger bar has helped me no end. Nice Bike BTW 8)

I am from just down the road (Northolt) , cya around sometime.