Trainer with a mountain bike.

senoj
senoj Posts: 213
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi
Are there any compatibility issues in using a mountain bike disc rear wheel on a turbo trainer?
I would change to a slick to keep the noise down but wondered if they were for road bikes only.
I was looking at the MINOURA HYPERMAG 1200 TURBO TRAINER.
Thanks

Comments

• nfrang
    nfrang Posts: 250
    Was thinking about it myself...so yeah a slick is gonna be the obvious choice.

Not sure how they fit on the axle with quick release though...would like to know how that works?
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I tried a normal Schawbe City Jet slick on a turbo trainer and it left deposits on the flywheel which translated into bad vibrations throughout the bike so bad you couldn't use it. I got a tyre for the turbo trainer like the one Black Spur has linked to and after removing the deposits off the flywheel it was fine with no more deposits or vibrations. Only problem is you have to change tyres or have a spare rear wheel like I do to go use the bike outdoors.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Can depend on the bike, if you have a non standard rear axle (Trek ABP, bolt through etc) then it certainly won't fit in all turbo trainers.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    They usually come with a beefed up quick release that is desinged to fit snuggley in the turbo trainers cups to keep the bike secure.