My new bike... love it but worried... advice please. UPDATE.

Comments

• nerak
    nerak Posts: 87
    how do I stick pics up. Still not worked it out...
    Mine's a pint...

... oh this bits for the bike. Mine's a Giant Talon W3 (and a GT Avalanche for sale)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nerak wrote:
    how do I stick pics up. Still not worked it out...

Read the BR FAQs!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nerak
    ok here's tryin'

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42479178@N06/3916524840/

My best attempt in the fading light on my iPhone...
    Mine's a pint...

... oh this bits for the bike. Mine's a Giant Talon W3 (and a GT Avalanche for sale)
  • nerak
    There's two up there now 8)
    Mine's a pint...

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks to be a fair gap between the chain and inner plate. The derailer should also be aligned correctly and the right height.

We need a pic looking from he rear cogs right down the line of the chain towards the front mech, and the gap.
  • nerak
    two ticks and I'll have one... thanks for your patience.
    Mine's a pint...

• nerak
    ok, here's the requested rear to front...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42479178@N06/3916587890/
    Mine's a pint...

• nerak
    Any others, list em and I'll get busy in a job lot!!

At the moment I've been emailing them to my laptop, saving to desktop and then uploading to flickr. Think I can download flickr to my iPhone :wink:

I really do appreciate your patience.
    Mine's a pint...

• supersonic
    I really don't think the L stop is screwed in far enough.

It should be screwed in as far as it can without preventing the chain shifting to that small cog. Usually a 1-2mm gap.

Also make sure the cage clears the top cog by 1-2mm (mech height)
  • nerak
    I don't think I'll tweak stuff, I'll take it in. Can't tell if its right compared to what you say or not.

There is another bit that puzzles me. There is a plastic thing that doesn't seem to be fully used. I will post a pic up and you can tell me what it is and if it should be used as it is or wound around (you'll see what I mean!)
    Mine's a pint...

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is the cable slack?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    It will be the dual cable pull system - allows the cable to enter from either side. Ignore it ;-)
  • nerak
    Cable isn't particularly slack. Here's the pic anyway...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42479178@N ... 357603690/
    Mine's a pint...

• supersonic
    nerak wrote:
    Cable isn't particularly slack. Here's the pic anyway...

Yeah, the cable dual router for top or bottom.

Get hold of the front derailer cage with your fingers (and thumbs) and spring it out. How much does it clear that top chainring by?
  • nerak
    I'll have to have another look tomorrow nite. Its too dark to see what I'm doing all that well now buy the time I unlock the million locks on the shed and get it out (no shed lighting - yet)

Thanks again Sonic.

I think I will take it in and ask for my money back, replacement, or is it worth asking to upgrade to a diff model?

This is my bike:
    http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bi ... 717/39214/

This is the model up:
    http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bi ... 717/39213/
    Mine's a pint...

• supersonic
    For tomorrow, remember this:

ft_der_2.jpg
  • nerak
    I'll have that in mind either in the morning if I get chance or hopefully tmoz nite.

Thanks again.
    Mine's a pint...

• nerak
    Ok. I've got my pennies out, don't understand still?! Is this right or wrong?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42479178@N06/3919510557/
    Mine's a pint...

• supersonic
    It has to be when the cage is extended outwards (ie if in a higher gear) and the outer part is directly above the outer ring. It looks like it might be right, I am just trying to gauge how well the derailer was set up.
  • nerak
    and straight over the top of the front

Mine's a pint...

• supersonic
    Try turning the L screw inwards on the derailer until it just starts rubbing the chain (pedal backwards by hand). Then back it of until it stops rubbing.

Now try riding - does it shift ok? It may prevent the chain dropping - but it still may be chainsuck.

Park Tools has the best guide on what to do. But as aslways, if the problem persists, back to the shop.
  • nerak
    ok, ashamed to ask, which is the L screw! lol
    Mine's a pint...

• supersonic
    There should be a little L next to one of the two screws on the derailer body.
  • nerak
    ps. the chain hasn't dropped off since the last visit to the LBS, its wrapped itself up twice.
    Mine's a pint...

• supersonic
    nerak wrote:
    ps. the chain hasn't dropped off since the last visit to the LBS, its wrapped itself up twice.

Hmmm, that does sound more like chainsuck then.
  • nerak
    'High' and 'low' take it I want to adjust the low?
    Mine's a pint...

• supersonic
    Yep, L. But if the shop has now done it correctly ;-)
  • nerak
    I can deal with the chain dropping off a bit better, its inconvenient but isn't hashing things up. Yeah I can end up in a ditch still but at least the bike remains in one piece.

Refund time I think. I don't want this to end up in a saga that ends with them saying you've had it too long and we won't refund it as its wear and tear.
    Mine's a pint...

• nerak
    Ok, took it back to the shop yesterday. Explained I seemed to only have the chainsuck problem now and that this wasn't right.

They said it sounds like a problem with the freewheel and they'd contact giant about replacing it. I said that with all respect the bike is mangled and this wasn't user mis-use and that I'd want that replaced as well as the frame was damaged below paint level,

I was pretty firm with what I wanted out of them, but I didn't demand a refund or make any forceful demands. I think its fair to give them a chance. The chap who runs the shop spoke to me and he wasn't happy at all and said they would speak to Giant about it in the morning.

Got a call fairly early on today to say they'd spoken to Giant and they'd agreed to replace the whole bike. Apologised it won't be delivered til monday, but I don't care too much as I still have my old 'big' bike.

They did offer that they have a courtesy bike if I did need it, but that was a med gents so I thought I may as well leave it there for someone who wouldn't have a bike while they worked on theirs.

Now I am getting to know the guys in there I think they are pretty decent and genuine.

Lets watch this space. Fingers crossed now the new one is ok...

Thanks again to everyone who has helped. Special thanks to supersonic for his continued patience with a rookie.

I may be a field technician but I certainly don't know my L screw from my elbow well enough... yet :wink:
    Mine's a pint...

• supersonic
    Sounds like a good result for all concerned!

But do still learn how to adjust gears ;-)