stage 7 *spoiler*

camerone
camerone Posts: 1,232
edited September 2009 in Pro race
wet and windy
Millar best time beatng grabsch

Comments

• Can someone tell me why Sammy Sanchez is wearing number 1? Was he even in the race last year?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Can someone tell me why Sammy Sanchez is wearing number 1? Was he even in the race last year?

Was he highest placed starter? 4th?

Anyway, suddenly a super TTer. Within 1s on Millar after 20km. These Spaniards, such late bloomers when it comes to TTing eh?

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones wrote:
    Can someone tell me why Sammy Sanchez is wearing number 1? Was he even in the race last year?

No, that was Mosquera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Vuelta_a_Espa%C3%B1a#General_Classification
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    calvjones wrote:

Anyway, suddenly a super TTer. Within 1s on Millar after 20km. These Spaniards, such late bloomers when it comes to TTing eh?

Highest placed starter was Mosquera, who finished 4th.

My only guess is that the organisers thought they would get a bit more publicity by giving number 1 to the Olympic champion rather than a lesser-known domestic rider.
  • afx237vi
    calvjones wrote:

He won a Vuelta TT two years ago. He's always been one of the better Spaniards.

3rd at the finish. Not really a surprise.
  • Bennati fastest at first check - 13.09.

Real shame the conditions are so bad as Valencia is a fabulously beautiful place.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Girepel is the first German since Ullrich in 1999 to wear the Gold Jersey.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    Cancellara 19 seconds faster than Millar at checkpoint 2.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2009
    Herrero (XG) 3rd. Average speed 48km/h isn't so fast - I'm guessing it is pretty windy. Although, no doubt the rain slows things down too.

Cancellara 19 secs quicker than Millar at 2nd check.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Just heard an interesting statistic. Out of 48 stages in Grand Tours this year, Colombia have won 15!
  • afx237vi
    Boonen crashed and still finished 11th.
  • At least the ITTs have been far more predictable than the stages.
    Sanchez was always the favourite Spaniard to go well and being the best bike handler of the bunch, in these conditions, certainly helps.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Cancellara beats Millar by 32 secs. He really is uniquely incredible and most command a huge salary.

Boonen crashed apparently and still finished 11th I think so pretty impressive.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Bike handling certainly played a part - Basso's weakness there will have cost him some time.

Still, interesting setup now without huge huge gaps.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Why are the interviews in English? I'm not complaining, it's just a bit strange.
  • He speaks very well in the post-race interview.

n37009031_32655921_6260.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    I was rather bemused a few days ago when I typed "cancellara" into google and noted it's first suggestion before I completed my query.

Indicative of times, eh?
  • iainf72
    I wonder how Danielson is climbing....
  • Dan Martin lost 3.56. He really needs to improve his tt-ing if he is going to be a GC contender. But there is still plenty of time.

Gesink only down 1.33.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • My favourite comment is from Cycle Sport on Twitter

"Cancellara wins time trial. Bear poos in the woods. Pope is Catholic"
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Gesink only down 1.33.
    Not really surprising; like Contador he's a much better TT-ist than people think; top 10 in the Olympic TT.