Yes I have my MTB!!

newburb_1968
newburb_1968 Posts: 114
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
I have just picked up a Trek 4300 yesterday :D and now looking to start mixing my cycling up.
Currently I have been commuting and roadie cycling on roads and country lanes, and adapted quite well to this sort of riding.
The main reason for buying the MTB was to start hitting some trails and go off-road cycling, but what I want to know is?

1> What sort of skills do I need to become a confident MTB?
2> What would I need to practice? and How?
3> Where Ideally would you go and practice? (Perhaps without making a twat of yourself).
4> What sort of speeds / routes would be ideal to test skills out?

Thanks for any feedback!!
:D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nice little bike!

I can probably answer all your Qs in one go. Start small and build up! Practise and rest well. Choose a nice easy forest path to start and get used to the bike. As you develop, start harder tracks. Good skills to learn are the trackstand (helps balance) and the front wheel lift, progressing to the bunnyhop.
  • Lifting your front wheel is probably the first skill you should learn. It isn't too hard but the mroe practice you get the less you have to think about it. Where abouts do you live?? Someone local might have some knowledge of good trails round there that are good for beginners. Or there might be a trail centre nearby that has a good blue route to start off on.
  • I bought my bike today as well - 1st bike I've ever bought - Scott Contessa 10, 09 version so got a good deal in the Evans sale. I'm a woman who's new to MTB and I signed up for a half day course with dirt divas. They run courses around Ldn and the Midlands I think. Brilliant tuition - didn't mind me asking the most stupid of questions - and explaining exactly what was on the bike and how my gears worked. I borrowed a bike from them for the course. Good tips as well. I had been in two minds about buying an MTB or getting a hybrid but the course made up my mind that I really wanted an MTB. Maybe the local bike club by you can help. www.dirtdivas.co.uk
  • Thanks for the tips....will start the practice!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Most importantly, just ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, and then ride some more.
    All the Ninja bikers you see on the trails and DVDs have been at it for years. Just remember that they all started somewhere as well, and don't let that put you out.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Following on from the trackstand tip..... don't think about it when doing it. I always have to put a foot down after a couple of seconds if I'm "trying" to trackstand, but if I come to a point when I naturally have to do it (traffic lights, junction, let a walker past) then I can stay there for about 10 seconds before I lose balance.

Other than that, just ride. Find a route on an ordinance survey map or go to a family oriented country park where bikes are allowed and just hit the trails. Some things will come naturally, others just take the bottle to try.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Pics of bike in kitchen or it doesn't exist.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • ^^

Pics!

Or you're actually riding an apollo!