presta and schrader valves (newbie question)

lipowicha
lipowicha Posts: 17
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I have a newbie question about inner tubes. Currently my MTB tyres/tube have schrader valves. If I buy inner tubes with presta valves would it work? And what is the difference between the two?

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no probs.

presta are thinner. Presta dont have a sprung valve.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    You may want to use a hole reducer, Mavic do one for about £0.75

00006497.jpg

Alternatively, some inner tubes have a valve lock ring which is stepped, so the smaller side can go in the Schrader hole.

I prefer presta, but the valve ends can be bent or snapped by clumsy handling when pumping them up "in the field". Pumps that have a short hose rather than those that fit direct to the valve can help avoid this for the clumsier amongst us :oops:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I preffer schrader, since they're compatible with more airlines etc, easier to use and IMO more durable (people complain about sticking schrader cores sometimes but I always suspect they've not put the caps on, personally). But it's not that big a deal really.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • If I currently use presta valve inner tubes can I therefore put schrader valve tubes in the wheel instead?
    "One thing that is worse than Carlton Kirby: people complaining about Carlton Kirby.

Talk about first world problems."

The_Boy, 13/4/14, Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler" thread
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If it is drilled big enough for it yes. Hence why a reducer adaptoer can be useful for doing it the other way round.
  • BlueDynamo wrote:
    If I currently use presta valve inner tubes can I therefore put schrader valve tubes in the wheel instead?

Not without enlarging the valve hole, which may or may not be straightforward. Wouldn't bother personally.

Matthew