Tour Of Britain Stage 1 York - spectating?

jrab
jrab Posts: 99
Anyone from East Leeds / Garforth area heading out on Saturday 12th to watch the ToB, up for meeting up for a bit of a ride out?

Full route details up on Tour of Britain website.

Give us a shout if you're interested.

Rich.

Comments

• We are planning to go to Pocklington first - then watch then end in york

I think some guys are comiing from the leeds area too

see thread

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showt ... hp?t=39756

the more the merrier...
    There's always www.cyclechat.co.uk
  • jrab
    Thanks for the reply. The CycleChat thread pretty much follows my thoughts - ride from Garforth to Pocklington(-ish), then head into York for the finish.

I'm not keen either on the choice of A1079 or A166 to cross the Derwent, also think that it might be a rush getting from Pocklington to the finish in time to find a good spot (expecting some traffic congestion etc on surrounding roads). Might aim for a spot a bit earlier on the route and then just head up B1228.

If anyone heading out from Leeds wants to meet up at (say) the Podger in Garforth at 9:30am drop a line.

Cheers,
    Rich.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    JRAB wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. The CycleChat thread pretty much follows my thoughts - ride from Garforth to Pocklington(-ish), then head into York for the finish.

I'm not keen either on the choice of A1079 or A166 to cross the Derwent, also think that it might be a rush getting from Pocklington to the finish in time to find a good spot (expecting some traffic congestion etc on surrounding roads). Might aim for a spot a bit earlier on the route and then just head up B1228.

If anyone heading out from Leeds wants to meet up at (say) the Podger in Garforth at 9:30am drop a line.

Cheers,
    Rich.

if theres a tailwind (which there usually is) and you're resonably fit, it shouldn't take more than 45 minutes to get back into the center of York. Gives you plenty of time to find your way to the finish.

I'm ridiculously gutted I won't get to watch this as I'm a student at York, but am home for the holidays so won't get to see it! :(
    Too expensive to travel up for the day. Ho hum.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'm cycling up from Sheffield to Kilnwick Percy then heading to York for the finish. Are the Leeds gang heading up to the top of the hill?
    More problems but still living....
  • anyone coming from the Eastern end? I'm riding down from Scarborough to Towthorpe Wold.

Rob
  • JRAB - a couple of us are riding out from north Leeds - heading through Tadcaster, crossing the river at Acaster Malbis, and on to Pocklington via Wheldrake. Intend to take in the KoM just after Pock and try then to get back into York for the end. Assuming it's open, we'll probably grab a cup of tea at Naburn station at about 10.30 if that's any good to you or others...
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    JRAB wrote:

Cheers,
    Rich.

There is a cycle track through stamford bridge, it crosses the river over the old rialway viaduct slightly upstream from the road bridge and there's a cycle path alongside the A166 to the Gate Helmsley turn.

or better still, go another mile or so and take the Holtby turn and into York via Murton.
  • jrab
    Yorkman, thanks for tip about cycle track. Is it surfaced (tarmac) suitable for road bike or is it gravel / dirt?

Rich.
  • jrab
    Zola1, thanks for the offer.

We've committed to meet in Garforth at 9:30 though and it's 20 miles to Naburn. Not sure if we can make that in 1 hour - my mate doesn't get to ride much.... It's a bit of a diversion from our planned Stillingfleet - Escrick route.

Will see how it goes though, if we make good time to Stillingfleet might hang a left to Naburn.

Rich
  • jrab
    Zola1, which route are you taking to Taddy - Thorner & Bramham I guess?

Rich
  • JRAB: Yep, most probably Thorner, Bramham...
  • jrab
    Zola1, that's probably too far North for us to meet you en-route, probably still 20 mins behind you whichever way.

Rich