What have you achieved?

2»

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    amck111 wrote:
    So I did, in Belfast, sub 3 hour. Next year will be a year for cycling !
    I would think that if you can do a sub 3-hour marathon, you must have a "pretty big engine" and should do well in cycling given the right training.
  • First season of Tts for me. Aged 41.

Started with a long 29 and got down to 25:42 on standard road bike, no tri bars.

Then no cycling for 3 months thanks to baby arriving.

Entered last 4 weeks and got down to long 25s.

Next season I'm hoping to do short 24s still on the road bike. Training really for those lone break aways in Cat 4 and vets races.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    10-mile PB is now 4 seconds over 26 mins, on a standard road bike with ordinary 32-spoke shallow-rim wheels plus some tri-bars, a definite improvement on last season; I tend to avoid fast courses like the plague as they are often heavily-trafficked A-roads, so I reckon that's not bad going. Seem to be climbing a bit better than last year, having trained a lot on lumpy roads over the summer.
    Riding my first 'cross of this season a week tomorrow which is the real test, as this is the part of the sport I'm most concerned with. Riding much the same bike as last season, so performances will be mostly down to the form (or lack thereof) of the bloke riding it!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Pretty naff compared to others here and i havent done any official time trials but i was happy to get my time on my local hill (well the nearest one that is relatively traffic free) down from about 4:20 at the start of the year, to 3:03 at the last attempt. Hopefully i'll get a good chance to do it under 3 minutes within the next few weeks before the winter closes in.
  • Langman
    Langman Posts: 178
    This year has been amazing for me. At the start I had virtually no thought of getting on a bike having not done so for 15 years. Then I went to look around a local bike shop and loved all the racing bikes and got the bug this was April. I have riden almost every day since and I have done a 10m TT on the local club course in 23.53 and improving all the time (hopefully). I have bee eating and sleeping cycling since April. I now do around 200miles per week. I am entering the local hill climb in a couple of weeks. Can't wait for next summer.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Did my first race at Croft, didn't get dropped and even lapped a couple of riders, loved it, back for moor next year. Life starts at 50 :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    edited November 2009
    Had a ridiculously fast crash at 48mph which stopped my season starting until August so I targeted the LVRC track champs for October.
    Did 3 or 4 road races for traiining and got placings in 3 then focussed on track training and some road 2 nights a week for endurance.
    Just came back from the LVRC track champs at Newport , I am in b group vets 45 to 50, and far exceeded my expectations.
    The first race was points with a very stong field, more or less the same as for the bcf masters.
    Fast hard race and I managed to win enough points to get gold, so that makes me LVRC british points champion :D
    pb of 12.2 for 200m, then got silver in the sprint. Not bad for endurance rider.
    Rod the first round 3 up sprint got through to semi, won a 3 up semi and got to final and lost by a tyre width in the final to get silver !!
    Next up was team pursuit where I got silver with a made up team, we would have won gold had the other two not swung up with half a lap to go!!!! I will not mention names to save embarassment but they are proably not on here :D
    Next day, 750mtt and I some how managed to know 3 secs of my pb to do 54.2sec and get bronze.
    Last event, another hard scratch race, 15km in 19minutes 58 seconds ( fast for a stop start race!) I got bronze having been pipped in the final sprint, pics on site link bellow.
    So my season has been salvaged :D
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Good one oldguy and v happy 4 u ... (but cant resist observing that early season power training obviously helped lol... :D)
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • oldwelshman
    bahzob wrote:
    Good one oldguy and v happy 4 u ... (but cant resist observing that early season power training obviously helped lol... :D)

I did not quite get on with ot but thanks for it anyway :-) Good job I returned it before I crashed :D
    Sprint photo finish is posted in the track section.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Fast hard race and I managed to win enough points to get gold, so that makes me LVRC british points champion :D
    Nice one Dave - glad you got something out of the season after the bad start 8)
  • bahzob
    bahzob wrote:

I did not quite get on with ot but thanks for it anyway :-) Good job I returned it before I crashed :D

As has been said elsewhere in this forum there are those that are scientists and those that are artists. Looks like you are an artist and a pretty dam good one at that.

Regardless fact that you can still hit pbs and make such a great comeback after a crash is an inspiration to us all..especially those of us knocking on a bit as it shows just because we get smarter as we grow older we dont have to be slower...congrats again.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    bahzob wrote:
    bahzob wrote:

As has been said elsewhere in this forum there are those that are scientists and those that are artists. Looks like you are an artist and a pretty dam good one at that.

Regardless fact that you can still hit pbs and make such a great comeback after a crash is an inspiration to us all..especially those of us knocking on a bit as it shows just because we get smarter as we grow older we dont have to be slower...congrats again.
    Hang on hang on! A bit less of the 'old guy' stuff please. He's only an LVRC B-category for goodness sake. As and Bs are spring chickens!

Ruth

ps. many congratulations OWM!
  • oldwelshman
    Here are a few of the better pics, theres loads of me but these look best.
    I am easily spotted due to my body art :D
    I think I may purcahse a couple of these.

Yes I know ride position looks weird in 750tt it is the camera angle sgrtening my bike and body and making me look hunchbacked :D

http://www.charleswhittonphotography.com/photo3897273.html
    http://www.charleswhittonphotography.com/photo3897463.html
    http://www.charleswhittonphotography.com/photo3896814.html
    http://www.charleswhittonphotography.com/photo3901899.html
    http://www.charleswhittonphotography.com/photo3901259.html
  • started TTing at 14.
    10's from 30 to mid 25
    25's (only did one) 1.09ish

rode GHS natinal championship

next year

a 50mile TT
    Joinior BBAR (2X10 2X25)
    rudy project round 2
  • bahzob
    started TTing at 14.
    10's from 30 to mid 25

next year

a 50mile TT
    Joinior BBAR (2X10 2X25)
    rudy project round 2

Well done and good luck :)
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • bahzob wrote:
    started TTing at 14.
    10's from 30 to mid 25

next year

a 50mile TT
    Joinior BBAR (2X10 2X25)
    rudy project round 2

just seems a hard act to follow next year
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Managed 2nd in my age group in a sportive, guess what 2010 goal is ?
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • oldwelshman
    John C. wrote:
    Managed 2nd in my age group in a sportive, guess what 2010 goal is ?[/quote

3rd ? :D Its not a race :D
    I think I got equal second in the cotswolds 2 years ago, but that was overall, did not do it this year, too fat to climb and riding track :D
  • Started my season by being 30 secs slower than my PB in the first 10 of the season..wasnt too fussed, first event etc...then two days later a lady in a Toyota decided to end my season there and then by pulling straight out into a jct.

Back on the bike after a 6 month (enforced) layoff, have to say its amazing how much your legs hurt after a long layoff :) , but with my new bike under my butt im rearing to go for next season even if the accident has put me back to where i was two seasons ago...it can only get better as they say
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    NapoleonD wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:
    Club handicap champion 2009 :wink:

Ditto.
    Me three :D
  • gobi
    gobi Posts: 16
    Started this year while an injured runner.

10 mile TT in 24.02
    Won a hilly 15 mile TT(small field on a slow course)

Went track racing and discovered that without a sprint it is rather difficult.

Next year, will race a bit and TT but probably looking to dable in Duathlon.

That said I have now got a TT bike so hope to see some 22s over 10 miles
  • love2ride
    love2ride Posts: 224
    bahzob wrote:
    started TTing at 14.
    10's from 30 to mid 25

next year

a 50mile TT
    Joinior BBAR (2X10 2X25)
    rudy project round 2

What place did you come in the GHS? Which area do you train in, because I'm now 15 and looking for someone to train with?
  • love2ride wrote:
    bahzob wrote:
    started TTing at 14.
    10's from 30 to mid 25

next year

a 50mile TT
    Joinior BBAR (2X10 2X25)
    rudy project round 2

What place did you come in the GHS? Which area do you train in, because I'm now 15 and looking for someone to train with?

i came 15th 14 yearold boy in 26.33, it wasn't a good time as i paced it badly but i did do it on my £500 sportive style bike with clipon's, in the start area most of the other bikes being TT ones with disks or deep sections.

and i train in north hampshire area, whinchester to farnham.