Pro's Saddles

steve23
steve23 Posts: 2,202
edited September 2009 in Pro race
how come you do not see many pro riders riding with saddles with cut outs!!??

just a thought, as you see them all over in amateur events, but the pros seem not to use them!

i know theres the types that use saddles of old, or is it just me and they do use cut outs?

thanks
_______________________________________________________________________________________
If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    A properly (for you) shaped saddle doesn't really need cutouts.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    They have hardened backsides and log thousands of miles in the saddle each year. Some good shorts, some chammy cream and the right shape of the saddle is all that's needed.

Think of a soldier, they can walk 20 miles with a pack on their back using normal boots, the occasional hill walker will spend lots of soft shoes to help on a five mile walk.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Saddle comfort IME is about getting the right shape and position and getting your weight distributed evenly - the only time I tried a cut-out saddle it felt like I was putting all my weight on 2 hard edges. Soft saddles too can be uncomfortable - they push into the soft tissue.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Maybe the PROS do suffer a bit from numbness. I don't think there are too many studies on who does and who doesn't. You also need to remembe that, as a pro, you can, most likely, try any saddle you want. Whereas you and I just can't go out and buy every saddle on the market to see if they work. I've been using a sit bone saddle, and a cutout one, for some time now and while I don't get numb(as with a "regular" saddle), they are not perfect either. One rider in our local club described saddles as either "go numb" or "get saddle sores", your choice. This may be the way it is for some people.
    Then again there is something to be said for getting your fair share of *ss time in the saddle. You get used to it.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I guess I'm lucky in that every saddle I've used I've been comfortable on if the saddle has sufficient padding or give (but not too much)- the only saddle I've used that's caused any issue is a Selle Italia flite I have which has very little but very dense padding and the hull has no give, but other Flites have been fine.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr