Newbie budget.

scotmods
scotmods Posts: 15
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Howdy,

Ive been lurking for a while and finally thought I would sign up proper so I could get more advise and contribute to the community. Im currently thinking of getting back on the saddle for some exercise and also to cycle to work.

I borrowed a neighbours bike a few weeks ago just to use around the streets and had so much fun I pretty much decided there and then to buy a new bike. In the past I had a Trek but it was real heavy and in the end I sold it (lived in a topfloor flat at the time). So this time Im gonna go for something a lot lighter instead of just buying the 1st bike I come across that looks good and has a brand name.

Initially I had set myelf a budget of around £350 for the bike alone, however I came across a Ridgeback MX5 at my local shop for £399. After some initial researching Ive come to the conclusion that its a pretty good bike and should fit my needs ( commuting and nothing to serious off road).

Im keen on the bike and the guy at the shop was really helpful, I guess Im looking for someone to kinda point me in the right direction regarding the cost. Also Im aware that the new range of Ridgeback is coming out in October, so Im wondering if I should wait until nearer the end of this month and try to get some more off the bike and then use the savings to get helmet/extras etc.

Any advise on the budget and this make of bike would be much appreciated,

Chris

( ps, sorry for such a long 1st post ) :oops:

Comments

• Don't know much about Ridgeback, do you have a link to the bike online so we can look at the spec? Have a look at the what hardtail sticky too and see if you can compare it to some alternatives.
  • the best deals are to be found when the 2010 models are out.......like now!

what about a deal online? get a bike delivered, there are tons of old stock out there waiting to be sold.

all depends on what you want in a bike.
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Ridgeback is a bit of an oddball - they have fitted a nice drivetrain, decent brakes, good wheels - and a really nasty fork! But buying locally has many advantages, and you should be able to try it out. Maybe one to get and upgrade the fork when funds allow.
  • Cheers for the replies folks -

@ Ilamafarmer - http://www.irvinecycles.co.uk/acatalog/mx5.html

@ saltyman - The bike is already discounted down from £459.00 to £399 - looking to commute but have the ability to go offroad at the weekend, nothing too hardcore, ie no huge jumps or mega rutted trails.

@supersonic, cheers for that. Not really knowing to much about forks etc, whats nasty about the fork?

Chris.
  • supersonic
    Heavy and no damping. Pogo stick.
  • ok, thats helpful to know. At least I know theres the option to change it in the future.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Heavy and no damping. Pogo stick.
    FORK - SR-XCM-DA
    The fork has damping.
    Plus for £335, well at least that's what I'm seeing on the link, it doesn't have bad components.
    But for under 400 my choise would be the Mongoose Tyax Super 2009.
  • Cool, going to another shop this afternoon to see what they have on offer.

Its actually the 2nd bike down on the link, so the fork is SR-XCM-V2. The top info is for the 2008 model, however looking on the site for the shop I visited it shows the fork as SR-XCM-DA :?

http://www.nicholsons-cycles.co.uk/prod ... ctid=40866

So the fork has damping then ?
  • If the shops website is right!

I wouldnt be too concerned about the fork quality if you are riding primarily on road/smooth tracks especially if all else is good. If you aren't enturing off road at all you could go hybrid and get some speed from narrow tyres or even go whole hog and go for a road bike. Stick with the MTB for versatility though.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • supersonic
    The V2 has no damping. The DA is a good fork though!
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Suntour's naming of forks :( It never gets any better does it.
  • I've never bought a second hand bike.... but your money would go a lot further. Just have to be careful. Could also consider buying an "old" 07, 08 or 09 model bike in the clearance sales of the big online stores.
  • Thanks for clearing that up folks. I guess at the end of the day, there will be things that I can upgrade and change if I feel they need changing.

Really I think Im trying to convince myself that its a good bike upto the job, I dont end up buying a duffer.

I dont think I wanna go down the route of a 2nd hand, however having hunted around a few other shops in the area, £399 seems to be the best deal.

Arranged to have a trial tomorrow, and maybe see if I can get a few more quid off it to cover a helmet and a lock for when Im out and about, what you guys think??

Chris.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    The V2 has no damping. The DA is a good fork though!
    There is something bothering me for a looong time ago.
    Some Suntour forks have Hydraulic speed-lock cartridge.
    This means that the lockout is not mechanical but hydraulic and this
    has nothing to do with the damping (it doesn't have oil damping), correct?

Btw, scotmods you can ask, there shoudn't be a problem to give you a lock for
    free, and if they are nice people they might even give you a helmet for free too, or at half the price.
    When I was buying mine, the guy gave me £30 off the bike, plus it upgraded my fork to
    Dart 2 (instead of Dart 1), that's another £10, and he cut another £10 from the £80 helmet.
    I saved £50. :D
  • Bought it !!

Eventually got round to getting a test ride last week, and picked it up today. Was so eager to ride that I left the missus to go home on her own in the car whilst I rode home. Not sure of the distance but a couple of miles I think from the shop to my house, so rather hot but feeling good already.

Ended up paying £399 for the MX5, reduced from £459. Used the savings to get me helmet and a wee bike lock. Sweet !

Dundee Cyclathon tomorrow, although I dont think my fitness is quite upto that yet. :lol:
  • good stuff, 2 lads at work bought the MX5s for thier first bikes and they are perfectly decent bikes, we had some big rides on quite harsh terrain and they were perfectly able and competant, Just thought id throw that in so if you fancy turning left one day you can.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • Good stuff.

Hope you get some good use out of the beast.

I do believe the people on these forums like pics...

:D
    Go listen to... www.wefunkradio.com
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I do believe the people on these forums like pics...

:D
    darn tooting. pics or it didnt happen
  • Got a pic on the home pc, will stick it up later.

Intending to do some offroad as well as the daily commute, just need to find some mates who can show me the ropes . On the commuting side, timed myself cycling to my work yesterday, 25 minutes to cover four miles, which includes one dirty big hill and a slight slope. Thought I did ok considering its been so long since I was on a bike. Intending to commute using it on a tuesday and thursday and use it in the evenings on the other days until Ive built up some stamina then I will use it every day until the weather starts to get bad i reckon. Need to get me some decent clothing though.

Chris.
  • scotmods
    scotmods Posts: 15
    edited September 2009
    mx5.jpg

Loving the contrast between the frame and the black rims. Almost feels pimp my ride stylee. :lol:
  • aint that a nice crisp bike.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • cheers, need to get it dirty to feel like a proper rider now. :D