Vuelta Spoiler - Horner

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited September 2009 in Pro race
Don't know if this was mentioned but Levi's saying on twitter that Chris Horner has broken his wrist and possibly more. That's very bad for him as he was using the Vuelta to help in his search for a team/contract next year.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Poor old Chris Horner really does seem to have more than his fair share of bad luck. :(
  • do we know who caused it yet?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    37monkey wrote:
    do we know who caused it yet?
    Who caused it??? Did you see the stage? Or even the Sky/BBC 'highlights'?

And why so eager to know anyway? Sue? Crashes happen. Part of the profession.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Roger Hammond isn't too happy with the culprit:

Hammond was near the front getting ready for the bunch sprint when the crash happened, and he found himself with nowhere to go but down.

"I was in good position for the sprint, but a rider was going dangerously fast into the round-about and caused the crash. When everyone is going the same speed through a corner, it takes a real idiot to think you can go 10kph faster," Hammond said. "My leg is hurting pretty bad. I should be OK to keep going, but it hurts now."

From what I saw it looked as if the whole bunch were going to fast into the roundabout, or more likely, there was a patch of diesel that took them all out.
  • Bronzie wrote:
    From what I saw it looked as if the whole bunch were going to fast into the roundabout, or more likely, there was a patch of diesel that took them all out.

I agree with this. The only thing to back Hammond though could be that the riders had to brake due to the first rider coming down and braking on a wet roundabout at speed is likely to cause you to come down.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Bronzie wrote:
    Roger Hammond isn't too happy with the culprit:

Hammond should quit if he's getting too old to be willing to take the risks. There was no culprit.
    I looked up the video again and there are two riders falling down individually at the same location at the end of the roundabout, obviously at a particularly slippery spot. I did not see one rider going into the roundabout much faster than all the others. Like you say, it was the horrible weather and slippery roads, with a general reluctance of the whole bunch to go round the bends at snail's pace in the last 3 kms.
  • Ah.... I hadn't seen the footage when I posted I had only read Hammond's account, but wow that was a nasty crash, what was with the two spectators just stood there inches from the downed riders?