London to South Coast, 26th Sept

afcbian
afcbian Posts: 424
edited October 2009 in MTB rides
Just wondering if anyone on here is doing the London to South Coast BHF ride on 26th September ?
75 miles of organised offroad riding.......heaven or hell ??
I ride therefore I am

Comments

• J55TTC
    J55TTC Posts: 224
    Details please, think I'd be up for that!
  • afcbian
    this is the link
    http://www.bhf.org.uk/default.aspx?page=10156
    No idea if places are still available. It costs£20 or £0 to take part and you have to raise a minimum of £100 sponsorship.
    We have all received our info packs.
    I ride therefore I am
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    did this last year, it is pretty easy and mostly flat, the Downs Link section can be a little boring, I did it with an inexperienced mate so took 9 hrs and we were one of the last to cross the line, heard rumours of people completing it in 5 ish hours,
    watch out for hidden signs as a bunch of people went off course last year and get there early to sign on as we queued for nearly an hour before setting off,
  • hi there, I am also doing this ride on the 26th and i have hardly done any training. i have all this week off to break in the new trance x2 and i am on the marin trail and coed y brenin over 14th to 16th.

Has anyone tried the gps route sent out by the bhf?? mine gave me a route of 522.6 miles with 3270 waypoints!!! JEEEEEEEEESSSSUS!!!!!!!!!!

My rider number is "69" so if you see me give me a shout.
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • afcbian
    will keep my eyes peeled.

Interesting to here the comment about it being fairly straightforward.
    My group are hoping to complete the route in 6 hours or so.
    We will see !!
    I ride therefore I am
  • afcbian
    amt27 wrote:
    did this last year, it is pretty easy and mostly flat, the Downs Link section can be a little boring, I did it with an inexperienced mate so took 9 hrs and we were one of the last to cross the line, heard rumours of people completing it in 5 ish hours,
    watch out for hidden signs as a bunch of people went off course last year and get there early to sign on as we queued for nearly an hour before setting off,

There are 750 places this year as opposed to the 350 last year.
    Getting into London at 0740 so should be across the start line about 0815

What is the going like ? do you need full on MTB tyres or are low rolling resistance tyres more appropriate ?
    I ride therefore I am
  • I am using my new trance x2 with the kenda bonty's fitted! I am desperately tring to get some miles on this bike but at mo I am mega busy with work, odd jobs, flying lessons and a chest infection to boot! I am off to beteys y coed on Monday for a few days with work to do the marin and poss llandegla so hopefully that will help get the legs and lungs bump started nicely. I am planning to get to the start for around 0715 so I can get going as I expect I have bitten off more than I can chew on this one! Longest single ride to date for me, that's without the new steed factor!
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • afcbian
    Am out on the bike at least twice weekly and do 25-40 miles offroad each ride incl many hills and some technical stuff so think it should be ok.
    Have done the normal L to B 4 times now but 56 miles on road is a bit easier, even with MTB tyres.
    My number is 303 !
    Enjoy the day
    I ride therefore I am
  • i have decided to dedicate my ride (small square of paper you attach to your back they encourage you to fill in at the start line) to the help and care i am gonna need at the end of the ride, if i make it!!
    hopefully i can get out tomorrow evening for a 10 miler before heading off to wales on monday where i hope to get around 50 miles in over 2 days. then it will have to be a 10 miler everyday up until the event, if i have the energy after a days work!!

afcbian, are you gonna run with knobblys or are you changing ya tyres?
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • afcbian
    Nobblies it is for me and most of my group.
    2 of them are high speed racing whippets, 2 of us are experienced moderate riders and the other 2 are very fit (runners) but lack time on a bike and have old school rides.
    A good mix me thinks.
    It'll be fine.
    Just eat and drink well, take your time, enjoy the day and it takes as long as it takes.
    Just hoping it's reasonably dry.
    I ride therefore I am
  • Hi there, the weather doesn't bother me as I work outdoors on a busy flightline! My fitness levels aren't too bad at the mo but they could be better in my eyes.

How many water fill up points are there on route? I have the map they sent me but haven't had a chance to print it off and have a look. I tried loading the gps file they sent out onto my iPhone but it was wrong. Mk1 map it is then!
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    afcbian wrote:
    What is the going like ? do you need full on MTB tyres or are low rolling resistance tyres more appropriate ?

From memory there were only a couple of technical downhills which I think were on the Surrey Hills, you could easily use Small Block 8s on a dry day and get some speed up on the Downs Link, just before you come into Brighton you hit Truleigh Hill (arguably one of the toughest on the South Downs Way), so save a bit for that.

I still have the tracking for it, up until Cranleigh:
    http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/work ... ?id=450218
    after that its flat, until Truleigh, only two hills before Cranleigh.
  • afcbian
    amt27 wrote:
    afcbian wrote:

From memory there were only a couple of technical downhills which I think were on the Surrey Hills, you could easily use Small Block 8s on a dry day and get some speed up on the Downs Link, just before you come into Brighton you hit Truleigh Hill (arguably one of the toughest on the South Downs Way), so save a bit for that.

I still have the tracking for it, up until Cranleigh:
    http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/work ... ?id=450218
    after that its flat, until Truleigh, only two hills before Cranleigh.

:shock: Am I reading that right ?? your heart beat never went above 100bpm in 75 miles of cycling, not even up the hills.
    Are you Superman ?
    I ride therefore I am
  • afcbian
    paully617 wrote:
    Hi there, the weather doesn't bother me as I work outdoors on a busy flightline! My fitness levels aren't too bad at the mo but they could be better in my eyes.

How many water fill up points are there on route? I have the map they sent me but haven't had a chance to print it off and have a look. I tried loading the gps file they sent out onto my iPhone but it was wrong. Mk1 map it is then!

Looking at the laminated map they sent out it looks like there,s checkpoint every 15 miles or so.
    I will take a Camelbak with 2l of water and 2 bottles of made up go go juice !
    I ride therefore I am
  • Well, after arriving at betws y coed way around 2pm we got straight out on the bikes for a Punishing 20miler! The new trance held it's own ok but I am def not over my chest infection. Still Marin trail tomorrow but for now it's back to my pint of guiness at the stables here at BYC
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • day 2 and we lumbered around the marin trail. 3.5 hrs with a few stops for snacks etc.
    I have now decided that i may have bitten off more than i can chew with this bhf ride!! my plan is to go out every day until the ride and do at least 10 miles just to get my cycling legs back in.

The trance is a totally different machine to the speccy fsr xc comp i had before and the jury is still out on it. prob just me but it feels wheeeeyyyyy heavier that the speccy.

gonna change the 2.1 kenda nevagals for some speccy captain controls i reckon. that will make it a bit quicker up the hills.

Downhill it was awesome tho!!! :lol:
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • Hi guys, I too have signed up for this event and am wondering, from those who did it last year, if there is anywhere on route to grab a sandwich etc for lunch on the way. I'd rather avoid taking a back pack if at all possible. I reckon it's going to be tough enough for me without lumping any extra weight along for the ride !!
  • Hi there, I am gonna just take a few flapjacks and plenty of fluids. There is a boozer at checkpoint 2 which is where I am gonna stop for some food. Fancy joining me?
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • Where you gonna store your puncture kit, pump etc? :o
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • I've Got a spare innertube in the pouch under my saddle, tyre levers, spanner etc is on the frame in a triangular inside frame bag which because of the bottle carriers and pump I've had to attach to the top of the cross bar and seat post.

Its the first organised event I've had a go at so the experience will be new, if not my bike, which can only be described as antique !! Not sure I'll have time to stop for a pub lunch might have to eat on the go.
  • paully617
    paully617 Posts: 139
    edited September 2009
    hi there, its mine too!!
    I am on a new bike that i am still tweaking to suit my style of riding. i carry as std nowadays a spare tube, puncture kit, pump, small first aid kit, cable ties, a weatherproof jacket and water in my camelbak. i am gonna be taking a bottle in a cage filled with SIS GO energy drink and will have a few HIGH 5 energy gels to top me up along the route.

Having looked at the map, it seems to be mainly towpaths until you hit the south downs so if the worst case scenario it takes ya 10hrs at 7.5 miles an hour, that gives you plenty of time for a quick energy filled ploughmans!!

I am riding it alone making me a bit of a BillyNoMates so if you wanna hook up to give each other some support, i am more than happy to. My rider number is 69 and i will be on a white and silver giant trance x2 and will be wearing a white Giro lid. OH and other clothes of course!!!
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • Maps...? I didn't receive any maps in my ride pack and haven't been able to get the GPS they sent through to work either...so at this stage all i know is where i start and finish. However if anyone has a map of the route in any other format would much appreciate a copy - will probably meet my wife along the way somewhere for supplies so useful to know where i'm actually going!

cheers

Jim
  • Hi there jim, fortunately, I have an electronic copy of the map if you want to send me your email address I will ping you a copy! Checkpoint 2 is a pub. My mrs and poss the kids are gonna meet me there for a bite to eat. Anyone else need a copy?
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • By the way, the gps route sent out a while ago didn't work!
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • I have just found this post. Me and 3 mates are doing this ride.
    We have been training doing 50 miles once a week. but we have been doing it on Norco AM bike's. :shock: Now built up a nice ligth weight LRS, and a Spesh FSR so we are now flying along.
    Really looking forward to it.
    What have people planned for a lunch stop?
  • afcbian
    Me again !
    Glad to see some more of you doing it.
    6 of us are going. Our plan is to be self sufficient along the route and won't be stopping for any length of time along the route.
    We are all taking camelbaks with water plus bottles with "go go juice". All snacks and food will be packed too.
    Pumps, co2 capsules, tubes, levers, multitools, spare chain links etc.
    I reckon a 6 hour finish is a good target.
    and the really good news guys............................the forecast is brilliant.
    sunny spells, virtually no wind, 18-20 degrees.
    Can't wait to get cracking now, really looking forward to it.
    Good luck everyone. My number is 303 by the way.
    I ride therefore I am
  • If anyone hasn't got a map, I have an electronic copy. I am gonna stop at check point number 2!
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • Does anybody have a GPX file that works? BHF have sent me two and I cant get either to work?
  • No. The fox files fuckked! I have the map they sent out on an email from bhf if anyone wants a copy emailing across. Drop me a text on 07525051627 as after a utterly shite 12 hr day at work followed by a 3.5hr drive down to my folks in SE London, I am planning on an early night.
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • afcbian
    How did you all get on then guys ??
    I ride therefore I am