What to take with me on longish rides?

swelsbyuk
swelsbyuk Posts: 421
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Normally, when I go out on my bike I play about for an hour or so and then head back home / to the car.

Over the last couple of weekends, however, I gone on a couple of longer rides (both around 3 hours) and found that I thoroughly enjoyed them. Plus, I didn't ache as much as I thought I would the next day.

As these journeys are taking me further and further away from home, I am aware that I really should be taking a few things with me other than my bike!

So, I've just bought a Camelbak and need to know what to put in. I figure a mobile phone, a bit of cash, a small pump, a spare inner tube, a tracker bar.....and that's where I run out of ideas.

I'm sure I've seen this type of post befoire, but can't seem to find it. Sorry if it's repetition but any help/suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• tyre levers
    stick on patches
    zip ties
    every allen key that fits your bike
    swiss army knife

i even take a firestick like what ray mears uses incase i get stuck in the forest and need a camp fire........never know what might happen out there.
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    a multi tool, chain splitter, couple of power links, puncture repair kit, tyre levers, some people like to take a basic first aid kit, waterproof paclite, a general purpose cloth, an OS map
  • I usually take, pump, co2, 2 tubes, patches, levers (they're quicker especially with cold hands), small FAK, phone, cash, keys, duct tape, zip ties, two multi-tools, my gerber, water, sport drink, food, tiny waterproof, glasses, spare bit of chain, spare chainring bolt, brake pads if the ones in are nearing the end of their life, spare gear cable, mech hanger if the bike needs one,

thats for any ride longer than an hour unless i'm going for a long ride but staying close to home.
  • Bananas
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,121
    A mate with all of the kit :)
  • MountainPete
    MountainPete Posts: 418
    edited September 2009
    I've got water, chocolate bar, allen keys, puncture repair kit, tyre leavers, pad separator, zip ties, insulation tape, phone, swiss army knife, coat, first aid kit, spare inner tube, chain splitter, spare links, spare power link, pump. I think that's it! It all just sits in my bag and I take it out everytime I cycle.
  • reading material,mp3 player,kendal mint cake,water,waterproofs,inner tube,tyre lever,pump,allen keys.
  • Camelbak, multi-tool, 5mm, 6mm, patches, spare tube, levers, pump, phone, mp3 player, camera, WATER, chocolate bars, spare t-shirt, sunnies, lightweight towel or a compact waterproof.

That's my standard pack. Serves me well.
  • Pump, tubes, powerlinks, multi tool, waterproof, water in hydration pack, toffee crisp, banana, phone, cash.

If nothing else take a toffee crisp.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    some sheets of bog roll.
  • dunker wrote:
    some sheets of bog roll.

... and a newspaper to read?
  • Jaffa cakes :D
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    dunker wrote:
    some sheets of bog roll.

... and a newspaper to read?

hehe dunno i've not had to use them yet, but i've got a foldable os map of the island that's good reading :)

oh yeah another one for the OP, an os map of the area.
  • phone hoodie two 5in1 bike tools, spare chain spare wheel and inertube, flask, chocolate, keys lock, tom tom sat nav which i rarely use but comes in handy if i do lose track where i am on my map, oh map to, hat pads spare bars
  • Madtag wrote:
    ...spare wheel...spare bars
    how big is your ruck sack? :lol:

definitely take a small medi-kit (saved me on a couple of occassions) oh and duct tape (see http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12647498) and most certainly a map plus the skills to use it.

I do like the idea of getting someone else to carry stuff for you :) choose the fat lad in the group he's slow anyway! :lol: [/quote]
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • i meant the rubber wheels and mine well i have two sizes plus my bars strap on to the out side of my bag as it suppose to hold my skateboard
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Spray-on plaster and antiseptic wipes if you're going offroad!
  • matthew h wrote:

most irritanting type of people to ride with, even my roadie mate who comes with me mtbing on my spare bike at least brings tools and a tube. Admittedly last time he came he brought my multitool but still!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Worth also stuffing a new one of those foil survival blankets into your camelbak too - they take up no space :D It's the sort of thing you hope you'll never have to use, but better safe than sorry!

I speak from experience here - my OH got mashed on an easy local route close to home, on a sunny day, and was only flown off by the air ambulance 2 hours after the crash :? He was freezing, I was freezing, and the survival blanket he had faithfully been carrying for over 10 years came out in little peices and was as useful as the proverbial chocolate teapot :roll:

Anyway, just my thoughts! I always carry one now (and will repace it after a few years) but hope it stays in the bottom of camelbak and I never have to use it :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Oh yeah, always have a thermal blanket with me.
  • SRAM powerlinks, chain splitter
    Allen keys
    Tyre levers
    Tubes x2
    Pump
    Nana or equiv..........cake
    bottle water
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,121
    matthew h wrote:

most irritanting type of people to ride with, even my roadie mate who comes with me mtbing on my spare bike at least brings tools and a tube. Admittedly last time he came he brought my multitool but still!

Joking aside, if there is a few of you, we tend to check whose got what & spread it among ourselves.