531c fork flex

bigflangesmallsprocket
bigflangesmallsprocket Posts: 2,443
edited September 2009 in Tour & expedition
I've had a few frames featuring 531 tubing, but this is my first 531c frame, and also my first 'touring' frame since my teens (too long ago), so i'm not quite sure what I should be expecting from them.

I've read that 531c is noted for being more flexible than standard 531. My previous frames would have had plain gauge 531 forks. I also have a 653, and understand that 653 forks are in fact 531, but these feel relatively stiff, possibly due to the very small amount of curve in the fork, so I've not had anything for direct comparison.

The frame is an Orbit Gold Medal which looks to be fairly robust (despite the external rust, including a tinkling inside the frame!). There is quite a bit of curve built into the fork, which I assume will increase flex to a certain extent. After slapping a pair of wheels on I leant on the frame and noticed some flex in the forks...so I grabbed to top-tube and put my (inconsiderable, I'm about 8.5 stone) weight right into it and watched the forks flex, I'm guessing about 1cm or a little more. Is this normal for touring frames, or 531c forks? would fat tyres reduce the flex by taking off some of the pressure? There are no pannier rack bosses on the forks so the weight to be borne would be mine only.

I'm not sure whether this much is an inbuilt feature of older touring frames and bikes where comfort is the issue, or are these forks just knackered...and are they safe?

Wasn't sure of the best place to post this so it's also copied in the workshop section!

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad