Am I just being a tight a**e?

2»

Comments

• dave_hill wrote:
    Is it just me? :shock:

Do you have Scottish or Yorkshire ancestry by any chance?

Get your hand in your pocket.

I'm from Yorkshire, be careful.

BTW, anyone know a good substitute for a Camelbak cleaning kit?
  • What i really don't get is why everyone raves about the Camlebaks in the first place. Dakines bite valves are a much better valve, ie no chance of leaking even if you leave it "on". I also like the way it is set to "on", by twisting the whole valve to 90 deg, easier to do with gloves on. Much better than that silly fiddly little camelbak switch with just a reservoir of water with a cross cut into it (unless of course they've changed it since i last looked at them)
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    It's a rip off, but with little option it's pretty much a case of sucking it up unfortunately. FWIW they're $6 over here, which is a bit more reasonable (but not a lot).
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    scotto wrote:
    scotto wrote:
    yes you are very tight, I have an online shop (not bike related) and I dread people like you, if you work out the cost of time wasted thinking and wriring about it, that is probably more than £6

I bet you screw at paying carriage as well, no offence meant but in life things cost money and you can't take it with you, get your wallet out or go back to bed.

Ok, so I was being pretty light hearted about this, only posted it taking the p*ss but your comeback is actually pretty frustrating.

Yes, things cost money but when things cost more money than they should then you do something about it i.e. question it or you don't buy it or you find a cheaper alternative. Now, I can guarantee that a big bite valve cost Camelbak just a few pence per unit to make so where the £6.99 comes from god only knows? If someone posts on here and tells me that actually it costs Camelbak £3 to make each unit then I'll quite happily pay up £6.99.

I also don't question carriage. I understand that you need a van, insurance, tax, MOT and a bloke to drive then thing so you can see where the money goes...easy! I'm a Driving Instructor and I get questioned over the price on a weekly basis but I can easily justify the price and if you don't like it fine...you go elsewhere!

And why I would go back to bed only you would know...it's the middle of the day :?

Well it's called profit, people have to make it in order to survive, they are not sat there waiting to send plastic valves out to people for nothing.

You are what we call a nosepicker.

And you're part of the reason we love CRC/Merlin etc. who offer great prices AND free carriage. Let's hope there's an equivalent in your chosen trade...

In response to the OP though, I thought the bite valve doodah was expensive for what it is, but in terms of 'cost per use' it doesn't seem that bad. Suppose it's all about perceived value...
  • The days of the retail ripper are numbered, it is extortionate to charge that for a bit of rubber and clearly as Decathlon are knocking them out for half that it could be cheaper.

Brand is what you're paying for and that's it.

I'm happy to go where ever to keep my money in my pocket and not someone elses.

My forks cost me £289 complete with postage and duty imported from USA - Over here best retail is £530. It's a world market now and much as camelback can outsource manufacture to china to increase their profits, I can outsource my buying to the best source to increase mine.

As for nosepicking with the limited value that most (not all) retailers add to the buying process I'm happy to do my own research, take a chance buying on line and so far it's a proven strategy. For a serious purchase I'll still go to a retailer but frankly shops don't do much for me anymore.
    2002 Ellsworth Isis
    1997 Santa Cruz Heckler
    1994 Cannondale M900
    1992 Specialized Stumpjumper
    1988 Marin Pallisades trail
  • nfrang
    nfrang Posts: 250
    I got myself a Gelert 1.5L pack from Amazon for £7.99 (spotted by someone on here)

The bite valve split a bit too much so i ordered the Camelbak bbv but it was too small for the hose. :(

Emailed Gelert explaining and 3 days later 2 bite valves with taps turned up in the post FOC!!!

Wasn't a ranty email i just asked if they were available separately 8)

Spare Camelbak valve anyone?

**edit**

I'll swoppsy it for 3 energy gels/drink sachet. PM me.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    MingMong wrote:
    I'm from Yorkshire, be careful.

So in other words you're a Scotsman with all the generosity sucked out? :lol::lol:

I once knew a bloke from Yorkshire who dropped a pound coin. It hit him on the back of the head.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic