Tours and one-day races which hav primarily mountain stages?

Marion78
Marion78 Posts: 12
edited September 2009 in Pro race
Of past and present UCI events, is someone able to list the ones which are strongly comprised of mountain stages?

Tour of the Basque Country is one of my favourites but I am racking my brain trying to make a full list.

Thx -- Marion

Comments

• teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Dauphine Libere tends to be pretty mountain heavy.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Tour de Suisse, usually, but not this year. Paris-Nice usually has 3 or 4 good climbing stages.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    In one day racing Liege-Bastogne-Liege has as much vertical elevation as an Alpine stage of the Tour. But that's about it. The Giro di Lombardia has some good climbs but they are not really of the Alpine variety, similarly the Basque classic uses the Jaizkibel but this is not that big.

There used to be the one day Classique des Alpes but this stopped five years ago.
    There are several Italian and Spanish races for climbers. For example the Subida a Urkiola.

And there's the Trophee des Grimpeurs which means the "Climbers Trophee" but in actual fact it's held in a grubby Parisian suburb.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Tours heavy on high-mountain stages are rare. Even the Tour of the Basque Country has mostly middle-mountain/Ardennes-style terrain.

Exceptions: Dauphine Libere, Giro de Trentino, Tour de L'Ain (this year of Vino-comeback fame).

Outside Europe the Tour of Colombia and Vuelta de San Luis, and I guess the national tours of Ecuador, Bolivia and Venezuela.

The Spanish regional tours (Burgos, Asturias, Catalunya, Castilla Leon, Navarra, etc. ) all have at least one good mountain stage, but also some lumpy and flat ones.

I would say that the climbs at the Giro di Lombardia are more alpine than those of LBL, which is more about repetition