Bealach Mor

The Mechanic
The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
Am I the only one riding this event on here.
I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks

Comments

• rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    no
    +1
  • Sjaak
    Sjaak Posts: 99
    Very unlikely, unless weather conditions and the angry applecross community council busy bodies have scared off the other 599!

I'll be there!

So, you all reckon you have done enough miles in preparation to face the bealach ascent and the mile after mile of undulating applecross peninsular roads?

PS Cornholio, make sure you bring enough tp!
  • So, you all reckon you have done enough miles in preparation to face the bealach ascent and the mile after mile of undulating applecross peninsular roads?

Definitely haven't done enough miles this "Summer".
    Already trying to think of excuses for my inevitable poor time.... :oops:

Did the Beag earlier this year so weather won't put me off, nor will the threat of "direct action" (Whatever form that may take)
    Rider behaviour is down to you. We ask for your support in showing that cyclists are considerate and safe road users.

We appreciate that other road users do not always behave the way we would wish but we would ask that you ride in such a way that is appropriate for the narrow roads on which you will find yourselves.

Fewer complaints about rider behaviour will help our interaction with community councils and prevent any further erosion of local support. We already work hard on numerous fronts to minimise disruption and ensure that local communities are able to get maximum benefit from our events and we will continue to do so.

This is from the email SiEntries sent out, (as most of you will know). Guess it's up to all of us to ensure our behaviour leaves the locals no room for complaint.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Has everyone who entered this now received an email from the organiser? Nothing for me yet....
    More problems but still living....
  • Sjaak
    amaferanga wrote:
    Has everyone who entered this now received an email from the organiser? Nothing for me yet....

PM me with your email and I fwd the two emails. To be honest, nothing new that isn't on the handsonevents website. If your name is on the start list, you're in
  • Have done very little this summer, since the Fred Whitton in May. And put on some weight.
    But, I've now got a compact chainset and, with a tail wind at the end, could maybe match last years 5.18. I think a lot depends on the wind - the big hill isn't such a problem as the many little hills in the second half.
  • The Bealach is harder than Hardknot! :lol:
  • Sjaak
    edited September 2009
    I did the Mor 08 and Fred 09 too.

Last year's Mor was one of my very first sportives and it was brilliant cycling weather - apart from the last 10 miles though which was in a rather strong head wind funnelled through glen torridon.

Hope we're going to be as lucky with the weather as last year! Parts of northern england and south scotland experienced heavy rain and major flooding whilst the applecross peninsular was basking in sunshine.

5-18 is a great time, mine was 5-44 and hope I can shave 20 min off it this year.
  • holmeboy wrote:
    The Bealach is harder than Hardknot! :lol:

Some one had a liquid lunch then! :shock:
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • the big hill isn't such a problem as the many little hills in the second half.

Would agree with that. You psyche yourself up for the big climb and once that's over you think you're nearly there but you just hit wall after wall of short but intense climbs before Shieldaig.

BTW, I'm going up solo on Friday, leaving Dumfriesshire about mid-dayish if anyone's needing a lift?
  • Sjaak
    Soreknees wrote:
    the big hill isn't such a problem as the many little hills in the second half.

Would agree with that. You psyche yourself up for the big climb and once that's over you think you're nearly there but you just hit wall after wall of short but intense climbs before Shieldaig.

Hills after Shieldaig are no fun either. Be afraid all, be very afraid! :)
  • I was up there in the second week of August and the locals were digging a trench from the car park at the top down to the hairpins. I also heard through the grapevine that they have ordered a tanker load of treacle from Tate and Lyle. Sweet revenge :evil:
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Sjaak
    I was up there in the second week of August and the locals were digging a trench from the car park at the top down to the hairpins. I also heard through the grapevine that they have ordered a tanker load of treacle from Tate and Lyle. Sweet revenge :evil:

Fu***** - dge!!

Treacle? I thought it was molten fudge, if so bring your bacon and recite after Homer: Dear Lord, as I think of you dressed in white with your splendid beard, I am reminded of Colonel Sanders, who is now seated at your right hand, shovelling popcorn chicken into thy mouth. Lord, could you come up with a delicious new taste treat like he did? I command you.

Whatever might happen I'll be bringing extra tubes and patches - if you don't make sure to bring cash :lol:
  • The Bealach is harder than Hardknot!

I don't agree with that, certainly not when you get to Hardknot after100 miles of Fred Whitton hills. I came close to walking on Hardknot in the Fred Whitton, but managed to climb most of the bealach still seated
  • The Bealach is 6 miles long and a climb of 2000ft with the steepest gradient 13% (approx), Hardknot is 1.3 miles long with a climb of 1000ft and steep bit 20% (also approx). Which would you prefer to Walk/Run/Cycle/Motorbike/Drive if you were 1. in a hurry 2.tired or 3. wanted to do something else physically demanding later on that day?
    For me it would be Hardknot's because it would be the easiest option. :wink:
  • Sjaak
    holmeboy wrote:
    The Bealach is 6 miles long and a climb of 2000ft with the steepest gradient 13% (approx), Hardknot is 1.3 miles long with a climb of 1000ft and steep bit 20% (also approx). Which would you prefer to Walk/Run/Cycle/Motorbike/Drive if you were 1. in a hurry 2.tired or 3. wanted to do something else physically demanding later on that day?
    For me it would be Hardknot's because it would be the easiest option. :wink:

Hardknott has sections far in excess of 20%. Of course it is a personal matter but for me the bealach any time since it is far easier on a road bike (and by car too). Riding Hardknott without giving in to the urge to walk gives far more satisfaction however.
  • Bealach is a much longer than hardknot, and so is less steep. Hardknot has a couple of very steep sections and is quite steep throughout - as it must be to rise 1000 feet in 1.3 miles.
    Bealach profile is at:
    http://www.climbbybike.com/profile/Beal ... rofile.gif
    Gradients shown are average for each km section, and this is a bit deceptive as there is a steep straight bit near the top, just before the hairpins. Once you get to the hairpins, you've cracked it
  • Sjaak
    Bealach is a much longer than hardknot, and so is less steep. Hardknot has a couple of very steep sections and is quite steep throughout - as it must be to rise 1000 feet in 1.3 miles.
    Bealach profile is at:
    http://www.climbbybike.com/profile/Beal ... rofile.gif
    Gradients shown are average for each km section, and this is a bit deceptive as there is a steep straight bit near the top, just before the hairpins. Once you get to the hairpins, you've cracked it

It's actually this profile here http://www.climbbybike.com/profile.asp?Climbprofile=Bealach-na-Ba&MountainID=3943 as the climb as done in the Mor is approached from tornapress. As you can see, the first 6km is easy peasy. At the hairpins you're nearly there but it's still quite steep!

Here's a nice video for you to practise cornering so you can do it with your eyes closed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rubzQiWrS5g

If you want to fight a battle on your steely horse and see proper suffering go for Hardknott, if you want to cycle the longest ascent on british mainland whilst chatting to your dearest on your mobile go for the bealach.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bealach harder than Hardknott.!!!

Truth is Bealachs not in the same world as Hardknott...most of the climb can be acheived in a 39 ring...then a 20% tough section to the hairpins...and the hairpins are a dawddle......8Km climb averaging 7.5%.

Hardknott....2km at 15%....a steep bit 20%...aye right!...I beleive Holmeboy hasnt ridden Hardknott...as no sane man would describe it like that(if they had ridden it)

25-33% section to start with....then another 25-33% section to finish....christ its in a different world...

I did Bealach a year or 2 ago in April....no probs at all....then I tried Wrynose from Langdale a week later....near died....different world again....

In fact only today I did Glen Quaich from Kenmore...and its near as tough the Bealach...but its miles behind the Badboys in the lakes...

Bealachs a tough climb alright...but comparing it to the Daddy is taking a liberty.

P.s ...that Climbbybike Bealach profiles garbage....the steepest 1km section is 13% avg.(the steep ramp and the hairpins)..Ive mapped it very accurately....
  • Sjaak
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:

Truth is Bealachs not in the same world as Hardknott...most of the climb can be acheived in a 39 ring...then a 20% tough section to the hairpins...and the hairpins are a dawddle......8Km climb averaging 7.5%.

Hardknott....2km at 15%....a steep bit 20%...aye right!...I beleive Holmeboy hasnt ridden Hardknott...as no sane man would describe it like that(if they had ridden it)

25-33% section to start with....then another 25-33% section to finish....christ its in a different world...

I did Bealach a year or 2 ago in April....no probs at all....then I tried Wrynose from Langdale a week later....near died....different world again....

In fact only today I did Glen Quaich from Kenmore...and its near as tough the Bealach...but its miles behind the Badboys in the lakes...

Bealachs a tough climb alright...but comparing it to the Daddy is taking a liberty.

P.s ...that Climbbybike Bealach profiles garbage....the steepest 1km section is 13% avg.(the steep ramp and the hairpins)..Ive mapped it very accurately....

oh, Glen Quaich... another beauty. This is a climb they should include in the caledonian etape and I might consider signing up.
  • There are several climbs in the Fred Whitton that are harder than the bealach - hardknot, wrynose, buttermere, newlands etc.

But, compared with this years fred whitton, I think I was more done in at the end of last years bealach mor ride - the headwind in the final 10 miles was tough. I was going slow, and I still must have passed more than 50 people on that stretch. Quite a few of them jumped on the back and refused to help - until the line was in sight when they suddenly found the energy for a sprint!

It looks like it could be wet this year, but I'll settle for that if there is a tailwind toward the end.
  • RICHYBOYcp wrote:

To play Devil's Advocate ....
    Truth is Mont Ventoux's not in the same world as Hardknott...all of the climb can be achieved in a 39 ring.. max gradient of only 11% ......22Km climb averaging only 7.1%.
    Hardknott. 25-33% section to start with....then another 25-33% section to finish....christ its in a different world...

Obviously taking liberties but at some unknown point the length of a climb overcomes the steepness of a shorter climb. Anyways .... this is one for the 'Hardest Climbs' thread.

Back to the OP. Best of luck for the day and hope you get to see some of the stunning scenery.
    Why the name? Like the Hobbit I don't shave my legs
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:

To play Devil's Advocate ....
    Truth is Mont Ventoux's not in the same world as Hardknott...all of the climb can be achieved in a 39 ring.. max gradient of only 11% ......22Km climb averaging only 7.1%.
    Hardknott. 25-33% section to start with....then another 25-33% section to finish....christ its in a different world...

Obviously taking liberties but at some unknown point the length of a climb overcomes the steepness of a shorter climb. Anyways .... this is one for the 'Hardest Climbs' thread.

Back to the OP. Best of luck for the day and hope you get to see some of the stunning scenery.

What i will say is Bealach Na ba is the most majestic climb in the Uk....its gorgeous....and the whole Bealach Mor sportive route is undoubtedly the most awe inspiring experince to be had...

Hope you all get good weather...and I hope the locals are supportive...
  • Completed the FWC in 2008.
    Completed the Bealach Na Ba Mor twice.

:roll:
  • Sjaak
    holmeboy wrote:
    Completed the FWC in 2008.
    Completed the Bealach Na Ba Mor twice.

:roll:
    FWC 09
    Mor 08 and hopefully 09

There you go, our own experiences are exactly that, personal. My strangest experience and something I did find difficult (as I had not trained for the unexpected) was not going up hardknot but descending wrynose through a thick layer of fresh hailstones carpeted over sharp >30% corners... slightly delirious after having done 100 miles over lake district passes it made for an unforgettable experience.

Let's see what the gods have in store for us this saturday, I for one can't wait!!
  • RICHYBOYcp wrote:

I suppose by this way of thinking a 12ft climb of 50% would be the hardest hill in the entire world? :?
  • Sjaak
    holmeboy wrote:
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:

I suppose by this way of thinking a 12ft climb of 50% would be the hardest hill in the entire world? :?

If that's your way of thinking then by the same token 50 km @ 1% is the hardest climb in the universe by your reasoning :roll:
  • Sjaak wrote:
    holmeboy wrote:
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:

If that's your way of thinking then by the same token 50 km @ 1% is the hardest climb in the universe by your reasoning :roll:

I don't know about the Universe but certainly harder than Hardknot's! Yes!
  • Sjaak
    holmeboy wrote:
    Sjaak wrote:
    holmeboy wrote:
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:

I don't know about the Universe but certainly harder than Hardknot's! Yes!

ok, that's that discussion settled then!

BTW When was it you cycled the Mor? Good conditions? Done any other sportives in scotland that you could recommend?