Expensive Taste...

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited September 2009 in MTB general
I've been searching high and low for some specific bars..

- 700mm +
- low(ish) rise
- carbon
- strong
- light

Controltech House Carbon MTB DH Bars £129.99
- 710mm
- 38mm Rise
- 3k carbon design
- "Super strong"
- 198g

Bugger :lol:
Any alternatives?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why carbon?

why not scandium or....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Just thinking of trail comfort with the rigid carbon fork mainly. Trying to reduce the infamous trail buzz as much as possible..... I plan on doing some pretty long rides on the Scandal.

Scanduim is the next option on the list as it is epically cheaper.... probably £30 for a good wide bar.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    ritchey wcs carbon rizers, or low rizers are much lighter, cheaper (£65 at merlin), but only come to 660mm, although not sure why you'd want such a massive bar for rigid forks.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and it can take the buzz out as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The controltech ones are certainly light for the 'DH' tag.
  • The Northern Monkey
    The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
    edited August 2009
    RealMan wrote:
    ritchey wcs carbon rizers, or low rizers are much lighter, cheaper (£65 at merlin), but only come to 660mm, although not sure why you'd want such a massive bar for rigid forks.

29er wheels and wide bars work well together.... I already run a 700mm wide bars and think they're awesome!

Anything thinner... 660mm for instance... is way too thin for my body frame.
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Trying to reduce the infamous trail buzz as much as possible

Get a suspension fork?
  • grumsta wrote:

Get a suspension fork?

defys the point of what i'm trying to achieve.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Take your word for that. Still, think the ritchey is worth a look, its only 4cm smaller.
  • RealMan
    edited my post :wink:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Truvativ Noir Team comes in 680mm, not quite as big as you're after but still pretty wide. And only 171 grams. I can't speak for their strength as I've not broken them yet, but then I'm not especially hard on them. But they've survived some solid crashes and bad landings. I couldn't tell you if they're 3K or not though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    grumsta wrote:

Get a suspension fork?

defys the point of what i'm trying to achieve.

Sorry I thought you were trying to 'reduce the infamous trail buzz as much as possible' :P
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Foam grips (or nitrile) will help.
  • Zeroman_IR
    Zeroman_IR Posts: 290
    FSA Gravity Carbon DH bars? Come in a 25mm rise, 710mm wide? Sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

That said, good luck finding it in stock at a reasonable price :lol: However, if you're willing to go with a 25.4mm bar eBay is your friend.
  • 800mm wide ? Gravity light

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................I like a lot

http://www.ridegravity.com/fly.aspx?lay ... t&taxid=15
  • I assume you want the wide bars for SS?

classic choice is CNT monkey bars ofc

OTOH I got some RF Next XC carbon risers for my rigid (26") SS last year from CRC for 40 quid. I think they're actually lighter than the air they displace but they are narrow (660, maybe even 645?) I cursed myself at the time for not having checked the width before I bought and thought that I'd be forced to replace them but actually I've got quite used to the width. On short steep climbs, I just honk and mash, on med or longer ones I tend to lightly hpold the end of the bar. It works quite well, actually and means I don't catch trees (as much :roll: ) on the way back down. I just transferred them to the tranny and i'll almost certainly keep them ... unless I can convince Mrs B that she doesn't need the CNTs that came with her yeti....
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • supersonic
    Yep, looking at rtchey foam grips :)

Northwind
    aye, spotted the noir. They were the ones I was looking at when I found the controltech ones. Still on the cards.... Good to hear you like them!

Zeroman_IR
    chhers for that mate!
    Think I found a shop online selling the 38.5 variety :) not too sure of weight thou, found about 6 different claimed weights lmao!

bomberesque
    yea 660 is far too short for me. Don't find many long carbn bars!!

fatblokefromwarwick
    feck! 800mm!!!!!!