Goretex v's eVent

Mr Wu
Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Just a thought but is there any factual evidence that one is better than t'other?

I've recently brought a Rab 3layer eVent jacket which states it has proven vapour permeability (think that's how it's spelt) it goes on to say that it I'd better than other leading fabrics, which I've taken to mean Goretex.

Anyone shed any light?

Comments

• Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    This is the actual statement

As usual, the eVent fabric scores by its direct venting technology which means it's genuinely vapour permeable unlike some competitors.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Personally I prefer eVent over Gore tex.

I've had a few Gore tex Jackets, mainly mountaineering not biking and found that the breathability isnt what its cracked up to be.

About 2 years ago I bought a Rab Drillium eVent jacket and its light enough to use for biking. Yeah you sweat in it if your working hard on the bike but it seems to let you breathe better and with a good wicking top you come out pretty dry.

I wont go back to Gore tex. In its hay day it was the mutts nuts however there are fabrics that are just as good and better.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • All the user and other comparisons I've ever seen, say eVent is more breathable than Goretex.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    edited September 2009
    I have both Gore Tex and eVent

I think you are right, on paper, the eVent is supposed to be as breathable as it gets, however my eVent jacket is quite a bit heavier than my Gore Tex Paclite, so the latter seems more comfortable.

One big issue for me, over the years I have had several replacement Gore products under their lifetime "guaranteed to keep you dry" warranty - they really do stand by it. In contrast, I wrote to the manufacturers of eVent and the makers of my jacket asking about warranty - the manufacturers didn't answer, the makers of the jacket said they would pass any warranty concerns on to the manufacturer!!!! :evil:

So, breathability aside, when these jackets fail I am 100% confident of a full refund or replacement from Gore, whereas the eVent one may well go in the bin. As they are expensive products this is a deciding factor for me, whilst performance is very close (I couldn't say one was more breathable than the other in use).
  • event is a much more breathable fabric than gore-tex...fact!!! Largely due to the layering technology and the fabric itself. The hydrostatic head of event is also better that gt as a general rule of thumb as well. However, the pores in the event fabric get clogged up much quicker than gt though, so greater care is needed when cleaning and it must be cleaned more regualrly than gore tex. So there are pro's and con's. It's also worth noting that gore-tex doesnt work so well in the northern hemisphere due to the amount of moisture in the air and you would do just as well with a less expensive breathable material of which there are plenty. Event however, doesnt have this problem and works just as well anywhere.

If you want proof of this go to your local 'quality' outdors shop and ask them to get out they're nifty little gadget which is nothing more than a bowl with a pump at the bottom and a sheet of material across the top. The material is half gt & Half event. The pump creates pressure inside the bowl and pushes the water through the material, the amount that travels through the event compared to the goretex is quite considerable.

I currently have, a Sprayway Goretex, A Helly Hansen Tech XP a Montane Event and a Marmot Precip jacket. All used as part of my Mountain Leader work I might add and not for biking but the Event is the most breathable by far without a doubt.

Hope this helps!

Marc
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Just to add, Gore make at least 3 types of breathable fabric, with different weight, durability and breathability, so when comparing eVent with a (unspecified) Gore Tex fabric, it is a bit meaningless unless we know which fabric is involved.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    IME eVent is better, but that's not to say you won't get clammy in it!
  • generally gore-tex is much more waterproof, however much much less breathable.

My skin however is more waterproof than gore-tex and more breathable than eVent, so i tend to wear long sleeves and leggings in the rain and make do. Much more pleasant.