wasp in helmet

geordiefella
geordiefella Posts: 302
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
...(on head).

riding home tonight i got stung by a wasp that came through the front vent on my giro helmet. stung me once and i pulled over and gave it a good leathering followed by some cleat stamping. small red lump on head now.

my question is this. does anyone wear anything under their helmet? skull caps look daft on me. i quite fancy a rapha cap though as its scholler fabric which is ace in my outdoor shorts i have. might give some warmth when it gets colder too.

anyone got thoughts on under helmet garments?
Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
Twitter @roadbikedave

Comments

• i see that giro ionos helmets some with a lining insert. anyone got one?
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    My Dad has a Rudy Project road helmet which is fitted with mesh over the front-most vents presumably to stop this happening. I've had a bee fly into the vents of my Giro lid before. I saw it coming, then felt it hit my head, so quickly stopped and whipped my helmet off, allowing it to escape before I got stung.

When it's cold I wear a buff folded into a skull cap which keeps me warm, but I'm rarely (if ever) wearing that when it's warm enough for winged stingy things to be about.
  • thanks. helpful. i just ordered a solo cap from always riding. C2C on friday and its going to be raining anyway all weekend. i'll look up the rudy cheers
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • I'll see your 'wasp in Giro vent', and raise you one wasp under the neck of my m/cycle helmet and crawling angrily over my face and eyes while doing 70mph on the M3. Managed (with commendable calm, I thought) to indicate, pull onto the shoulder, and remove helmet so offending beastie could nonchalantly fly off - all without getting mashed by a lorry. Not an experience I'd recommend to anyone.

On-topic, I don't use my Ionos insert as it feels too bulky. Luckily I haven't had the problem you describe, but if I did I'd go down the Buff route as well. In winter I use an Icebreaker merino skullcap. Looks incredibly stupid without the helmet but does work, and being merino doesn't ming after a sweaty week's commuting.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I had a bee or wasp, not sure which fly at my mouth and wedge between my lips on Saturday, it either tried to sting me or I bit it in half as I tried to spit it out, whichever it was it tasted horrible.

I'll chalk that one up as a lucky escape too.

As for helmet attacks, I'm paranoid enough to sit up and whip my helmet off as soon as anything flies near it (often whilst still on the move).
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I had a bee fly into my mouth and sting me on the inside of my bottom lip while cycling home a couple of years ago. My lip swelled right up!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    skull caps look daft on me.

You, me, and the rest of the population!

Be grateful. My 4 year old son got a wasp under his T-shirt at the weekend and the vicious, pointless, evil little yellow b'stard stung my little boy 4 times.

And now I understand you're not supposed to kill them, 'cos it attracts more. I f :evil: g hate them, I really do...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    My Rudy Project Kontact helmey has a mesh liner thingamy, works a treat, and you don't know it is there.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    SecretSam wrote:

Be grateful. My 4 year old son got a wasp under his T-shirt at the weekend and the vicious, pointless, evil little yellow b'stard stung my little boy 4 times.

And now I understand you're not supposed to kill them, 'cos it attracts more. I f :evil: g hate them, I really do...

I've found a use for waps... they eat greenfly
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

I've found a use for waps... they eat greenfly

so do ladybirds and I know which one I'd rather hit on a bike. My mate got stung right through his shorts on sunday by a wasp, as I was alongside him. Good job it was him really, as last time I got stung by a wasp I was on my way out in A&E before a good old jab of adrenalin brought me back in the room! Bit scary really, its all down to chance and luck I guess. I always try and carry adrenalin with me on a ride, but the idea of vent mesh is a good one, might have a go at making my own for my Giro Animas
  • had a bugger fly down the top of my sun glasses while riding down hill at about 30mph, i couldnt release either hand so i shook my head like fuk only to piss him off and he stung me on my eye brow two or three times. i ended up dropping the glasses and having to climb back up the hill to retrieve them. 40miles from home too, strangely by the end of the ride the pain had gone and the lumps had decreased in size. think sweat may have sorted it?
    Crafted in Italy apparantly