is there a bike for 4x dirt jump and street?

yep
yep Posts: 45
edited September 2009 in MTB general
hey just wondering if there was a bike or frame for 4x dirt jump and street? coz i head some of the 4x bike are built too light for DJ or street?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes they can be. and for 4x you need gears and for DJ and street SS is better.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • yep
    but what about ridding 4x on a DJ bike? i know it will be a bit heavey but will the steep head angle and sort wheel base comprimise it too much?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well buy a bike that is strong enough for your "hardest" discipline.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    what typically makes a bike suitable for 4x?

Im assuming they are slack, short top tubed with 100mm travel?
  • marinman1
    marinman1 Posts: 262
    yeti DJ? the title suggests its a dirt jump bike, jared graves won the 4x overall this year on one, so it ticks 2 out of 3, i think the frame is around £550
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    You want a Flow Moe mate. Steel, 26" wheels, replacable mech hanger, 100mm up front - sorted.

I ride one for all of want you want plus a bit of light DH and I reckon its about a good as an all rounder you could find.
  • I rekon an Evil Sovereign or DOC with Pike coil uturns would be tough enough and flexible enough for all those;

68-71 deg HA (dep on where you set the fork)
    sliding dropouts for SS
    pretty short TT (can't recall atm, 22" I think)
    2" adjustable wheelbase (using the sliding drops and dual axle locs)
    hanger for geared
    Reynolds 853
    loads of standover (uses a tower, like the Dialled Alpine)

its designed for trail and street and I use it for trail, DH and falling off on jumps but I'd say it could race 4x no worries

here's mine;

2924127502_1da5df45d9.jpg

3130139371_c5735da860.jpg

not a cheap option though (c 800 GBP for the Sov frame last I looked .. cheaper for the DOC)

sliding dropout 456 might do it, not sure if strong enough for DJ though

Dialled PA 853 (if they still make them) but it doesn't have a sliding dropout

/edit; it got tweaked and cheapened (now 550 GBP) but no longer 853 and they say the geom has been changed so dunno about a current one. :?
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • yep
    what about identiti Dr Jekyll it sound pretty tought and is surposed to be made to race 4x?
  • new evil faction is designed for all these things.
    The dogs bollocks!

BH Over-X 5.7 09
    Barraccuda slum 07