Drumlanrig conditions

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
edited September 2009 in Routes
Anyone know how the Drumlanrig trails are fairing at the moment?

Seems like SW Scotland has had a LOT of rain recently. Am also riding Kirroughtree this week but I presume it will be OK as the 7stanes trails seem to hold up well to the elements.

Drumlanrig may too but I know very little about it, hence the query.
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• According to the stats we have had around 10in of rain over the past few days, certainly feels like it. Do not ride at Drum much but it has the reputation for being muddy, slippery and heavy going when wet due to it being more natural than the Stanes routes.Something Rik is quite proud of :?

Kirry will be fine as you say.

As with all trail centres just go and try it for yourself.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Give Rik a call at the shed, he'll tell you soon enough. Personally I don't think it's much fun in the wet, it's not so much challenging as massively unpredictable and sketchy. All by design but that doesn't neccesarily mean it's a good idea. Drumlanrig in the dry or slight damp is a total joy though.

(Rik annoys me actually, he sneers at the surfacing at Glentress etc but if drumlanrig had to deal with those numbers and the constant all-year riding it'd just be a hole in the ground now, not a trail. Drumlanrig's quieter on a sunny summer weekend than Glentress in the dark on a winter wednesday. But then, he's also one of those people that'll simultaneously criticise glentress for being too heavily surfaced but also slag off the condition of the trails. But, he does make good trails)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Thanks for the tips. The trail was pretty muddy and I spent a fair bit of time skiting over wet roots, but it was fun in a kind of character-building sort of way :-)

Would definitely like to have a look at the trails when they're nice and dry, so will be back at some point.

Kirroughtree was indeed OK, though I had a bit of a 'mare, snapped chain and broke saddle on the same ride - cut it short about halfway round, just before McMoab.
    Le Blaireau (1)