windproof jacket

mike ives
mike ives Posts: 319
edited September 2009 in Road buying advice
Can anyone recommend a windproof top for cooler weather? I already have two rainjackets but would like to buy something that is close fitting, warm and doesn't flap around. I am looking to spend up to £100 max. Has anybody tried Craft, Cannondale or Lusso or can recommend any other manufacturer perhaps? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    psst, you might want to have a look at this months C+ :wink:
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I really like the Campag jackets that have removable sleeves (C545 Raytech). I often start with the sleeves on, them remove them mid ride once I've built up some heat. The jacket is pretty good for most weather conditions and even has a bit of waterproofing built in. Highly recommended. Available at GB cycles (www.gbcycles.co.uk).
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I got through last winter with a Montane Featherlight and a Featherlight H2O. Even on the coldest days I was fine with my DHB Bib tights, Helly Hansen base layer, arm warmers and either the Featherlight or the H2O. I've spent the last week or so thinking about what I'd get for this winter (the downside of the Montane jackets IME is that they don't stay waterproof for long, even washing with Grangers) and finally opted for a Featherlight Jetstream and a Velocity DT jacket. Came to £85 for both in Evans.

The great thing about the Montane jackets is that they pack so small that you can take a very breathable windproof and a fairly breathable waterproof on every ride :)
    More problems but still living....
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I use a Gore Oxygen, which is one of Gore's windstopper tops. It's a roadie cut so nice and snug, unlike the Phantom which is 'squarer' and more mtb cut. Great performance and cut. Not waterproof but very comfy and can handle the odd shower.

There's a few Gore jackets along these lines, so have a search.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Many thanks to all for theposts. I will investigate the Campag gear and the Gore Oxygen in more detail. The Gore looks a real possibility at the moment. Cheers.
  • EdZed
    EdZed Posts: 119
    How about the Endura Windchill Jacket?

It's reasonably close-fitting with a softshell windproof front (that's also reasonably water repellent) and a roubaix material back, so good for keeping the temperature regulated. All the usual rear pockets + a zipped pocket and a zipped chest pocket (with a glasses wipe), zipped underarm vents (for some cooling if needed). After a fair bit of looking I'll be getting one of these soon.

It's not fully waterproof, but I don't think that's what you're looking for. RRP of £75, available for less with discounts.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I can recommend the Endura Windchill. Had one for a year now and in all but a downpour it'll keep you dry. That and a merino base layer is fine for all but the most freezing day, in which case I just put on a thermal base layer too