Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Which Road helmet - with up to £150 to spend

hotspurhotspur Posts: 92
edited September 2009 in Road buying advice
I'm budgeting for a decent road helmet, and have decided that I will go to £150 for a new one. Within reason I would probably push it out a tad more, but I'm aiming at £150 and below.

What are peoples recommendations at this limit?

The Giro Ionos looks a good helmet, and one right up there in my considerations - what do you say about this? I'm very tempted with the Livestrong one, as I have a relative with cancer who I know has appreciated me wearing this tag. It's boosted him to see me wearing the logo, especially as he knows I am 100% thinking of him with it on.

Away from the sentimental side of things, are there any in particular that you would recommend for style, comfort and safety. The Giro Atmos was recommended to me by a friend.

What say you?
If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Follow Darts? Follow the Modus Darts team

http://www.modusdartsforum.com

Posts

  • hopper1hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have a Giro Ionos - Excellent lid, especially in the recent high temperatures. Very light, faultless... Love it.
    Plus, I got it on offer at Halfords, for £100! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • ride_wheneverride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    FFS, it's a hemet, it's job is to protect your brain.

    You're planning on spending a big wad of cash so go out and try them to find which ones you like before buying online.
  • maddog 2maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    have a look at the Edinburgh Bike Coop sale on the Atmos.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • STEFANOS4784STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Definately try them first. I got a Giro Atmos and can't really notice any difference from my Met Crackerjack which was a fraction of the cost. The only thing i might say is that i fancy my forehead may sweat a bit more in the Atmos :x
  • STEFANOS4784STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    maddog 2 wrote:
    have a look at the Edinburgh Bike Coop sale on the Atmos.

    Link?
  • giant_mangiant_man Posts: 6,878
    Try the ones you fancy cos the one you really want might not fit your head properly. People have different shaped heads of course.
  • AidanRAidanR Posts: 1,142
    maddog 2 wrote:
    have a look at the Edinburgh Bike Coop sale on the Atmos.

    Link?

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Edinburgh+Bike+Coop
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • STEFANOS4784STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Very funny. I already checked and tehre doesn't seem to be a sale price for the Atmos, that's why i asked :P
  • maddog 2maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    http://www.venusbikes.com/comms/offload ... -Sep09.pdf

    page 3 has the helmets. Not a massive amount off actually, looking at it again, and they are 08 models, if that matters...? There's a 09 Large for £100.

    CRC has a small 09 Atmos at £100 too

    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=30434

    and Ribble has some for £100 too.

    Ebay has them for £100 too.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • STEFANOS4784STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    And none in medium.......... :wink:
    I found that bargains are quite tricky to come across in medium
    few here;
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Giro_ ... 360032491/
  • hotspurhotspur Posts: 92
    FFS, it's a hemet, it's job is to protect your brain.

    You're planning on spending a big wad of cash so go out and try them to find which ones you like before buying online.

    I'll defo try them out, I just wondered if any one had come across any gems.

    I'm all for brain first, looks second, but if you can have both why not go for it. Almost sounds like the perfect woman...
    If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

    Follow Darts? Follow the Modus Darts team

    http://www.modusdartsforum.com
  • LardLoverLardLover Posts: 676
    I want to try one of those Catlike Whisper's but none of my lbs's stock them :(

    Anyone know of a shop in the North East that stocks them?

    (sorry to jump on your thread hotspur :oops: )
  • I have the Giro Ionos and cannot recommend it highly enough. The thought and functionality gone into it is perfect. It comes with a spare set of pads both sets which have silver threading to stop smell and it comes with a very neat skull cap that fits inside the helmet for winter days.

    Basically it's like this... Its the best helmet... you clearly have the budget... and not only will you be supporting Livestrong by buying it, but you have a personal reason which is even greater. I sincerely wish I had ordered the livestrong version.

    Whats there to decide... .
    never hold your farts in...they travel up your spine, into your brain and thats where trundlety ideas come from
  • though it does go without saying... please try it on before you buy it!
    never hold your farts in...they travel up your spine, into your brain and thats where trundlety ideas come from
  • FOADFOAD Posts: 318
    LardLover wrote:
    I want to try one of those Catlike Whisper's but none of my lbs's stock them :(

    Anyone know of a shop in the North East that stocks them?

    (sorry to jump on your thread hotspur :oops: )

    I emailed the UK distributor found on the Catlike website and got a quick reply as to my local stockists.

    The Whisper in white/carbon colourway is a thing of beauty, unfortunately they don't do one big enough for me :cry:
  • RatanRatan Posts: 55
    I picked up a Catlike whisper from my LBS for under £100. Very well made very comfortable and as light and effective as any Giro. The vents are certainly effective.

    Acquired taste however but not many people own them at present if that matters. Highly recommended
  • FOADFOAD Posts: 318
    Echelon?
  • FOAD wrote:
    LardLover wrote:
    I want to try one of those Catlike Whisper's but none of my lbs's stock them :(

    Anyone know of a shop in the North East that stocks them?

    (sorry to jump on your thread hotspur :oops: )

    I emailed the UK distributor found on the Catlike website and got a quick reply as to my local stockists.

    The Whisper in white/carbon colourway is a thing of beauty, unfortunately they don't do one big enough for me :cry:

    Cheers fella, just off to email them now :D
  • RatanRatan Posts: 55
    FOAD wrote:
    Echelon?

    Indeed. Tim, the owner, sorted me out. My son now has one as well as I was so impressed. The distributor also just happens to be based in Pershore.

    Ratan
  • JesseDJesseD Posts: 1,961
    had a spesh decibel, good helmet till i smashed it when I got knocked off.

    Then bought an Atmos, liked that too but it got a bit grubby and I wanted a white lid.

    Now got a Bell SweepR, I love it, it's light, well ventilated, good adjustability, fits great and most importantly looks great, thnk I paid only £90 for it as well reduced from £120 odd
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • bloodfire wrote:
    Basically it's like this... Its the best helmet... you clearly have the budget... and not only will you be supporting Livestrong by buying it, but you have a personal reason which is even greater. I sincerely wish I had ordered the livestrong version.

    Whats there to decide... .

    That's won me over. When I'm back from Tampa, I'm gonna get me that helmet!
    If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

    Follow Darts? Follow the Modus Darts team

    http://www.modusdartsforum.com
  • bobpzerobobpzero Posts: 1,431
    Bell SweepR
    dont you mean the bell volt?
    i have the giro atmos, its good tho if theres no wind on a steep ascent i do overheat. still got it for an absolute bargain on ebay (sorry i mentiond this before) unwanted gift, i got it for about £70.

    anyways another helmet worth a look even if it is £160 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33047
  • The Ionos didn't fit me at all in medium and the large was ridiculously big.

    Ended up going for an LAS Victory from Wiggle which I like very much and like having something a bit different to everyone else :)
  • JesseDJesseD Posts: 1,961
    bobpzero wrote:
    Bell SweepR
    dont you mean the bell volt?
    i have the giro atmos, its good tho if theres no wind on a steep ascent i do overheat. still got it for an absolute bargain on ebay (sorry i mentiond this before) unwanted gift, i got it for about £70.

    anyways another helmet worth a look even if it is £160 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33047

    Actually you're right it is a volt! :lol:
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • neebneeb Posts: 4,445
    The Ionos didn't fit me at all in medium and the large was ridiculously big.
    My Ionos in medium fits me perfectly but when I tried on the new Met Sine Thesis the medium was too small and the large too big, so if anyone is in between sizes for the Ionos they might find that the Sine Thesis works better (and visa versa). Probably goes for Giro vs. Met helmets in general.
Sign In or Register to comment.