Bike Rack for a Mondeo titanium X estate?

ngow123
ngow123 Posts: 7
edited September 2009 in MTB buying advice
I need help!. I have the new shape Mondeo titanium X estate with the sports pack so has the rear spoiler on the top of the boot lid. I am looking for a bike rack that will fit, I don't have a towbar fitted. The boot on the mondeo is flush with the bumper.

Would the Saris or Thule 517 bike racks fit? or can you recommend a rack that will fit.

Thanks

Comments

• Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Pick your car here http://www.thule.co.uk/appguide/ to see what Thule options fit. We have 5 Thule bike carriers mounted on the top of our car with no problem.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    Do you mean a roof rack or one on the back? We have the same car as you but only titanium, not x, with thule roof racks.
  • I am looking for one for the back/boot, if there is one that fits.

The issue i presume is the boot is flush to the bumper and the bottom part of thr tailgate is plastic. So doesn't help with the racks i have seen that sit using the bumper for support.
  • Personally I would fit the bikes to the roof especially if you have the rails on the Mondeo or get a towbar mounted one. I currently have an S Max and the lower part of the liftgate is plastic also. With a tailgate rack alot of the weight is through this area and there is very little landing surface to support where it meets the bumper. As a consequence three bikes can deform the plastic and on a hot day you could get a permanant set.(did on the old S Max we had! :oops: ) Also the spoiler is plastic so I wouldn't advise having the upper strap running over this as it is not designed to take this type of load. Just ordered the same model Mondeo you have and will be getting bars and bike rack from roofbox.co.uk.Hope this helps...
  • J55TTC
    J55TTC Posts: 224
    I would put them on the roof personally.

This way you can still get into the boot while carrying the bike / bikes.

Dont make the mistake I did and buy halfords ones - get the thule ones thay are soooooo much better.

Cheapest place is here http://www.skidrive.co.uk/bars/index.php
  • +1 for the roof!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Ford dealerships sell Ford roof racks & Thule bike racks last time I looked. The prices are OK.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.