Shimano SLX or XT wheels???

Robinnicholls80
Robinnicholls80 Posts: 22
edited September 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi I am after a bit of help regarding wheel choice. I am currently building an all mountain / freeride mountain bike and I am trying to decide whether to go for the cheaper SLX MT65 wheels or the more expensive XT M776 wheels?

I have read good things about the XT wheels but I know the SLX range is giving real value for money. I haven't been able to find any reviews of the SLX wheels so I am hoping to find someone who has tried them on here?

Any advice will be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Robin.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    or buy hand-built wheels, which (IMHO) are generally better than machine built wheels.

www.merlincycles.co.uk do some very good wheels.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • I have thought about about a custom build but wasn't sure of what combination of hub / rim to go for. Any advice? It will need to be light but able to take some big hits.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    depending on budget..

XT or Hope Pro II hubs, with Mavic XM719 rims, double butted spokes, brass nipples

You will have to compromise a little on weight if you want strength, but the real strength of a wheel in in a good build

Hope/mavic XM 719 £271 from Merlin http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... xm719.html

XT & mavic XM 719 £150 from merlin (custom wheel section)

If you go for thr ProII hub you will have to use an XT cassette or similar with an alloy carrier body as the freehub body on the Pro iI is alloy & will gouge with a steel cassette
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Thanks for the advice, I will have a look at merlincycles and see how they compare.

Thanks again
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Merlin are good - give them a ring for more advice. Biketreks too.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Thanks for advice, I have had a look at the Mavic rims but I notice that they aren't tubless. Sorry I forgot to mention on my initial post that I am after tubless wheels and budget is £400 max. Any suggestions?
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    I got the xt wheels direct from shimano and I love them.

They run really smooth and no probs.
  • I Have an spesh enduro (ride it hard) and i have hope pro 2 with mavic EN 321. Good combo IMO
    Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
    OnOne 456
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    If you want tubeless you could get hope pro II with mavic 819 or Stan's Flow/355 rims.
  • Merlin build with Stans flow rims now,so you could go tubless that way.
    Another option for you are prebuilt Hope hoops with Stans rims.Pro 2 hubs with Flow rims can ge had for £250.

http://www.lexs.co.uk/acatalog/Hope_Pro_2__Pair_.html#a136

By all accounts as tough as Mavic but lighter.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Thanks for all the advice I think I have settled on Mavic XM819 rims with ideally Hope Pro3 SP-AM4 hubs and awesome straight pull spokes but these don't seem to be available with these rims so I will more than likely go for the Pro2 hubs. Thanks again,

Robin.