Should I go for it???

hulabalooza
hulabalooza Posts: 52
edited August 2009 in MTB general
Hi
I've been riding a saracen zen 2 hardtail for a while now mostly on the 7 stanes and in the pentlands and have found it brilliant. However I recently went mountain biking in les gets on a hired giant reign 2 and found the difference huge. It gave me the confidence to do so much more and go so much faster :D Now I'm not sure whether its worth splashing out on something similar to the giant reign or keep my saracen and upgrade it over time. If I did buy a full sus I'd be looking to spend about £1000-1300 .I have seen a couple of bargains in the sales and really dont know what to do ,so was wondering what you'd all recommend? Would a 140mm full sus really make that much of a difference on my local trails or would I be better off staying on a hardtail?

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Depends on what your local trails are like

Test a few bikes in your price range & see what you think.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Don't take too long the 2010 price hike bikes are nearly upon us so grab a good deal while you can.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • marinman1
    marinman1 Posts: 262
    if you have the money for an extra bike then yeah, if you plan to keep the zen, it would be great to have 2 different types of bikes. also if you are able to travel a bit and take your bike to different places a 140 full susser might be better for you, open up more trails etc
  • BurtonM
    BurtonM Posts: 425
    Hardtails are generally better at climbing up hills, and full sussers are generally better at coming down them. I say generally because it depends on your riding style and riding preferences. I did glentress and innerleithern on my meta 5 and loved it. Then when my meta was in for service i used my spesh hardtail at glentress. I found it was a little bit easier climbing, but a whole lot less comfortable going up and coming down.
    If you can keep the saracen and then buy a full suss then that would be good, then you have 2 bikes to ride on depending on your mood.
    As for the bike purchase, a giant is a good shout, theyre reliable and get great reviews, even though i have never ridden one. :)
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    BurtonM it all depends on the trails as to whether a hardtail climbs better than a susser, on smoother stuff, yes a HT will climb better, but on more techy stuff a susser should climb better as the rear wheel has better contact with the terrain & is not scrabbling for grip & being bounced about like on a HT
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • BurtonM
    I thought people might understand if i put generally lol. But thanks, i was just being lazy and cudnt be chewed typing all that out, tis late and im going to dalby in the morning. cheers andy :)
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I say if you want it, you can afford it, buy it.

No reason why you can't have both. I'd guess most people who've been riding for a while have multiple bikes.

Just take out whatever you fancy on the day.

I've just seen an '09 enduro comp on sale for 1600, didn't clock the full spec, but it's a good frame with a 150mm set of Fox 32's and a Fox rear, it'll be a blast to ride.

I dont really read too much into 'performace' climbing/descending ability and such. I personally don't like to race much, I'm more into just having a laugh. Yes all things being equal HT's do climb, but firing down a rough bit of singletrack on a full bouncer is such a rush!
  • What bikes would you recommend then in my price range. I've seen some good deals on commencal meta 5.5.3s and I've seen some good deals on the specialized enduro. Has anybody else seen any good full sus bikes in that price range
  • BurtonM
    I bought my meta 5.5.2 for 1350 from merlin. You could of course buy second hand, however you dont whats happened to it or anything.
    It all depends what type of riding you do, if you ride xc, you probably want a lighter full sus, maybe something by Scott. If you trails often, your probably want a trail bike like a meta 5. trail bikes are generally heavier though.
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

• Dancake
    Dancake Posts: 47
    I just bought my Meta 5 (also from Merlin)and found the 140mm a revelation compared to my old 80mm NRS. It is purely for the trails and XC . (downhill silliness puts the willies up me)

Now I am a clumsy, hand -fisted rider so I need something to soak it all up when I get all crap and try to fall off and the long travel just makes me feel safer somehow

Regarding climbing, the Meta goes up better than the NRS because that was 2nd hand and fitted with the cheapest, heaviest bits available.

If you can buy new, do. All the bits will suit the bike and everything will work. My experience with 2nd hand is it can be badly worn and cost you a fortune to get right. I built my bike up and It never really fit. The Meta fits like a glove!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Why not, go for it... But, I would say that there's not a lot in the pentlands where a full suss will give you any benefit, unless it's one with good climbing traction... I know for me it just takes the fun out of it, it's not like the terrain's particularily challenging. Except on one or two of the cheeky manmade trails, but tbh a Reign or similiar's still the wrong bike for them.

I'm starting to get more of a hankering for some sort of rough and tumble full suss but so much of my riding is at glentress and in the pentlands and for me full bounce just diminishes that sort of riding.
    Uncompromising extremist