Stans ZTR Flow rims

guilliano
guilliano Posts: 5,495
edited August 2009 in MTB buying advice
Anyone used them? I'd love to get an opinion before I recieve my new wheels from Merlin (yes I know.... should have asked first, I just wanted to order ASAP).

Comments

• davcow
    davcow Posts: 51
    Yeah I use them. Got mine as Hope Hoops from Lesure lakes.

Nice and wide really fatten the tyre up.

Been using mine for a few months on my Patriot and they are still true.

Just a bit awkward to get tyres on and off for the first couple of times till I got used to them.

Enjoy!
  • HandjobDan
    HandjobDan Posts: 704
    Davcow, which Hoops did you get I'm looking at getting some Pro 3 SP AM's with the ZTR Flow's, they should be a bit lighter than my current Pro 2 Ex721's.
  • davcow
    I got a set of Pro 2 hoops. Didn't want to splash out on the Pro 3s.

And the non standard discs and rare straight pull spokes put me off a bit as well.

(I know the disc come with the wheels, but if they get damaged then you can only use the 4 bolt rotors from Hope, which I don't think many shops will have...)

The rims are quite a lot lilghter than the 721s but they won't be as bombproof, depending on your riding of course.
  • vikingboy
    vikingboy Posts: 128
    im running flows on king hubs for nearly a year and have been bomb broof.
    Built by Universal Cycles in US. Still true to this day and survived many a hard landing - elegant isnt a word Id use to describe my riding style!
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Good to know. I'm not getting anything as exotic as Hope or CK (XT hubs) and just running them on a mid range hardtail that I'm building up. Looking forward to MTBing again and wanted something reasonably cheap but tough...... think I've made the right choice. Just got to wait for them to be built and sent now.
  • HandjobDan
    HandjobDan Posts: 704
    I think all of the pre-built wheels are good value for these rims as they are usually £65 each.

I can't wait to have the moeny for my new hoops. Let us know what the XT's are like when you get them, can you get a 20mm hub in XT?
  • davcow
    Yes the front XT hub comes in 20mm.