Friday night bike building

Roastie
Roastie Posts: 1,968
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
Killboy and I started at about 6pm on Friday stripping my old, trusty Genesis in preparation for our target of building up two bikes before sunrise. My dinner time the bare frame was washed, polished and ready to be mounted on the workstand. Not long before midnight it was 99% finished with just a few small finishing touches and adjustments to be made. I'll let him post the details, but I think it rocks.

21etfz9.jpg

Next up was my new bike. I'm keen to keep up the racing over winter, so I'd got myself a Kinesis Crosslight 4t. The plan was reuse as many parts off the Genesis as possible, though I also had a few bits and bobs lying around that I'd bought along the way that would be pressed into service.

Unfortunately I soon discovered that I'd bought the wrong size cable hanger (1" vs 1 1/8"), so we couldn't finish it up completely, but we got everything assembled bar the front brake and handlebar tape at around 3:30am.

I was up like a bolt at 7am waiting for my LBSs to open so spent the two hours pondering my bike and how I'd get it "just-so". Eventually I found the hanger at Luciano, and then went in search of a new handlebar and stem to get the fit within a few mm of my fit. Back home with a hard stop at around 12:00 it was a race to get the bike done before my sis arrived. Fortunately it worked out just right and we got both bikes ready to roll and the front room back to normal *just* in time for her arrival.

fctw5.jpg

I've taken mine for a few short jaunts around town, Killboy has been on his pretty much since the last bolt was tightened.

I'm seriously chuffed with mine. Besides fitting like a glove, it is quick and responsive - a delight. Hopefully my cross tyres will arrive in time for Wednesday night! ;)

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    We need a before pic for the Genesis! Noted the bottle holders colour matched to the tyres! Both look good :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sheeeeeeet! Looks like I'm gonna get spanked on Wendesday. :o:)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • K1LLB0Y
    K1LLB0Y Posts: 30
    Roastie wrote:
    I've taken mine for a few short jaunts around town, Killboy has been on his pretty much since the last bolt was tightened.

Yip, absolutely hooked! Its the coolest way around London for sure! :D
  • Roastie
    Rolf F wrote:
    We need a before pic for the Genesis!
    The last one I took ...
    97ihrk.jpg
  • cjcp
    Killboy - you need more colours. :P Looks nice (we'll let you off the small ring shot just ths once :wink: )

Roastie - are my eyes playing tricks on me or is there a "wave" in those forks?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    cjcp wrote:
    Roastie - are my eyes playing tricks on me or is there a "wave" in those forks?
    Yeah, all the cheaper fork options sold out before I could get to them so ended up with this rather pimpy fork. :)
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I know this is a really strange question but have you still got them bottle cages? are they the bontrager ones??

i have been after a white one for ages, can i purchase one off you please?

very nice work btw

are those tyres the schwalbe blizzards? if so how do they perform, looking for an upgrade
  • Roastie
    Yup, Bonty cages - but I'll be using them on the Kinesis.

The tyres are Vittoria Rubinos. I meant to get Rubino Pros but accidentally got the non-Prove version. TBH, for just getting around the standard Rubino is just fine.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Quick question - nice bike(s), BTW - am falling on the side of getting rid of old 531 frame rather than trying to patch it up by painting etc., so was wondering how much the Kinesis frame was, and where I can get geometry details?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Another Crosslight 4T owner. You're the only other I know of. What have you built it up with? I got the standard kinesis build kit with mine, which I've found to be pretty good. Lovely frame, as you say.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    andy83 wrote:
    I know this is a really strange question but have you still got them bottle cages? are they the bontrager ones??

i have been after a white one for ages, can i purchase one off you please?

very nice work btw

are those tyres the schwalbe blizzards? if so how do they perform, looking for an upgrade

Evans website. I got one recently to match the one I already had. Mate of mine bought two at the weekend in Evans Wandsworth as well.

They are easily sourced.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Roastie
    Another Crosslight 4T owner. You're the only other I know of. What have you built it up with? I got the standard kinesis build kit with mine, which I've found to be pretty good. Lovely frame, as you say.
    The spec is a mixed bag as it was parts off the Genesis, a few bits and bobs I had lying around and a few new cross specific parts.

Given that my stupid IT system at work has crashed spectacularly (our national network is down) and that my bike is right next to my desk, I'll occupy myself by giving you all the boring details:

Shifters: Shimano 105 9-spd
    Front Mech: Tiagra
    Rear Mech: Deore XT
    Brakes: Tektro CR520 (Condor branded)
    Bars and stem: Ritchey Comp, bars wrapped in Fizik tape.
    Seatpost: OE Genesis carbon (to be replaced with a matching alloy Ritchey methinks)
    Saddle: (my trusty) Selle San Marco SKN Ti
    Wheels: Mavic CXP22 on Tiagra hubs (Dave Hinde handbuilt)
    Chainset: Truvativ Touro 50/36T (will probably swap the 50 for a 46 ot 48T)
    Chain: KMC X9.93
    Cassette: Tiagra 11-25
  • cjcp
    Roastie - how many spokes in your wheels? 32 or 36?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    cjcp wrote:
    Roastie - how many spokes in your wheels? 32 or 36?
    32 - I don't weigh too much, I'm sure they'll be ample.
  • cjcp
    Hope so! I'm planning to use my 32hs too!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i'm running planet-x 36h but sporting the ever light no BB look at the moment :cry:

Just typical I miss last season due to not having the kit then this season I've broken the bike already, arse!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    Buy a new bike. Simples. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."