Entering a race just to get an uplift- too cynical?

neil_sheehan2000
neil_sheehan2000 Posts: 529
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Okay, so it turns out that next weekend's carefully planned trip to Fort William to try out the new red downhill route coincides with the Kill the Bill race on the World Cup DH course- this is a problem.

Apparently the red DH route will still be open, but gondola access is going to be limited as the racers get priority- which is fair enough, I suppose.

Now, what I'm wondering is, would I get away with entering the race just to get on the gondola and then just riding the other way once we get to the top- or would I be severely frowned upon? Saying that, would they even let me enter the race with just my Meta?

(It's £60 to enter the race, which includes 2 days gondolla access- whereas it would just be £50 to get two day tickets for it.)

Comments

• P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I guess you can race any bike you like, but there's quite often rules on full face helmats and sometimes armor.

Morraly? Who knows it's a pretty unique set of circumstances. are you not at least tempted to try 1 quali and 1 race run? At least you'd get a finish (with luck). I've only seen the sections of course they show on freecaster, but looks as if it can been rode slower than full-on peaty pace.

You'll have to write up a report on the new route though!!! I'm dying to get up there for a go next summer!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited August 2009
    Hmm. I would, but then I'm a cheeky ****. Well, it depends a bit, if race spaces are limited I wouldn't want to deprive someone of a space but at the same time I wouldn't want their race to deprive me of my fun either.

The lifts have huge capacity but I see there's up to 300 spaces, that's going to be a serious drag tbh. Tough one... I mean, if you do a full day of riding there on the red it'll be quite a few lifts- I did 7 even keeping a lot in reserve for the XC/ten under routes after- so that could mean a hell of a lot of standing about. Hope it works out!

P-jay, I was up there a couple of weeks ago, it's ace, I'll be doing a writeup/review at some point ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Win it.

:D
  • RealMan wrote:
    Win it.

:D

Damn, but wouldn't that be good? I can't even beat my flatmate down Spookey Wood yet though*.

Deadline for signing up was today, and we've decided not to go for it- probably saves a few arguements. Might get a couple of runs in Friday and Monday, will try to get as many as we can in on Saturday and may just give it a miss on Sunday and watch the racing instead (or sit in the pub drinking really peaty whiskey- I'm easy either way, to be honest). Which will probably work out 15 quid more expensive than actually entering the race, but- sod it- we're on holiday!

*Notice I said 'yet'.