Hill CLimbing

disturbed.uk
disturbed.uk Posts: 11
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but....

I'm soon to enter my first "race". A bit of a fun thing, but 26.5 miles with some serious hills.

I can cycle up them at about 3 mph, or push my bike at 2 mph. Obviously, cycling is quicker, but more tiring.

Is the extra energy I expend for a 1 mph gain worth it, or am I better saving my energy for a 5 mph speed gain on level, and even more on downhill, as I won't be as tired?

I know some fell runners operate a similar strategy of walking up big hills, so they can run faster on level/downhills.

Comments

• Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Personally i would cycle up them, only way you get good at hills is to keep on climbing them, i was in a similar situation a while ago now i look forward to them. :)
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • It depends on the hill - I'm not sure how you can quantify the fact that you are 1mph faster on bike than on foot uphill. If you could give some idea of the climbs you're going to be facing then that might help?

Personally I would get as high up the hill as I could until it was clear that pushing would be far more efficient.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    dont forget your going to loose time with on/off and finding a bit of level ground to do so.
    Always best to pedal, if its steep alternate out of and on the saddle peddling. Your use different muscles and so (fingers crosse) not get so tired!).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if i was a racer i would probably pedal up the climbs but i know when im out for a casual ride i get off and walk for the exact reasons you have mentioned, it may be a little faster but its a whole lot more tiring to pedal.
  • When just out for a ride then I always try and ride up hills as much as possible.

When they get to 1:5 or 1:3 my speedo says 3mph, and when I run out of steam and get off and walk the speedo says 2mph.

Now, when I'm in the race the objective is to get from a to b as fast as possible, not to try and imrpove my hillclimbing ablity on the way.

By riding at 3mph I know my heart rate will be very high, and therefore deduce I am using more energy, than when I am walking up a hill at 2 mph, when my heart rate will be much lower.

So does the 1mph gain in speed justify the significant increase in energy required? At the top of the hill I can resume riding and pedalling with no recovery, whereas if I had ridden up I would ride slower, proabbly freewheel, while I recovered. At this point I can probably hit 15 instead of 10mph.

So push up at 2, then ride at 15, or ride up at 3 then ride at 10?

I guess each hill is different, depending upon what is at the top. Here in West Yorkshire we have soem serious hills!
  • I suppose it depends on how serious you are about the racing thing!

If you want a good result, then cycling up/running up is the way forward. Otherwise, take your time and do what's most comfortable.
  • baba123
    baba123 Posts: 235
    why don't you at the start of the climb stand where you get a lot more explosive power and accelerate quicker and then sit when you are at a fast but comfatable pace i did that and my average speed went up 1mph :D
    mongoose amasa elite 08
    giant anthem x4 10
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    I guess it depends a lot on the course? If the hill is followed by a long straight or gentle downhill then maybe you want to get to the top ready to power through that. But if it's followed by a steep downhill it's not pedalling fast you particularly need to worry about at that point and you'll have got your breath back when you get to the bottom?

Also how efficiently you can climb might depend on whether the terrain is smooth and grippy or muddy/rooty/rocky etc?
  • The fell runners analogy is a bit mis-leading, fell runners walk uphill when its quicker than running, at least that was the case for me. Lots of times I walked past guys who were trying to keep running.

PS I would ride up every time (but then I'm a novice also so don't listen to me :D )
  • Ride - its a cycle race.

I dont walk hills unless I simply cannot ride up them due to the steepness or surface. You need to power over hills as well - dont slack off at the top, push through - road riders apply some equation of how you should be putting effort into hill - meaning it gets harder as you climb - be careful not to burn out too early.

If you seriously want to get into racing you need to develop power - a 26.5 mile course is a decent length race but you need a combination of power and endurance to deal with any track - power to overtaken when opportunity exists and to manage short steep hill sections, endurance to cover the distance.

I have said it before but spin classes are good for developing power and stamina.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.