Inbred vs Soul

damo2576
damo2576 Posts: 236
edited August 2009 in MTB buying advice
Despite the obvious cost difference how do people compare these two frames?

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Big difference in price and ride. One's smash and grab, hurly burly. The other is a lighter more stretched out all day type ride.
  • damo2576
    damo2576 Posts: 236
    Which is the latter? The Soul?

I'm looking for something thats going to be a bit more forgiving than my Giant XTC frame which is so rigid it rattles me to pieces.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    The order you put them in the title. 456 / hurly burly. Soul / All day. Soul being the more comfortable ride.

I've got a Giant Boulder Trail and they can be a bit harsh long term but there's lots you can try before paying out for a new frame or bike. The main one is your riding position - if you're sat on the saddle with full weight going over rough ground then you will feel every bit of it and it won't be pleasant.

So you should have your ass just off the seat with your weight on the pedals, so the pedals are horizontal to the ground. Next are big tyres at a lowish psi, these help transform a harsh ride. Carbon seat post, carbon bars and spongy grips all help alter a ride too.

If you feel the need for steel after all that then there are many options and the advice to you is - try before you buy. And it can be a long process tracking down and trying frames out. There's a steel hardtail thread further down that'll give you some ideas. But the Soul is one of the best rides out there, you just pay for it. But you really need to try anything before you buy.