Bike upgrades

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is it as good as Take That doing 'Another Brick in the Wall" live in 1995?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pf-tFMzAN4
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    ...slightly better IMHO.
    ...in the same way that an SACD is slightly better than a Dancette. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • Anonymous
    Oooh, just realised, have we gone off topic?
  • skyd0g
    I fear we may have strayed a little way off... :wink:
    Thread heist!
    ...maybe we should post a "Pink Floyd - best track" in the Cake Stop?
    Cycling weakly
  • Anonymous
    What, and entitle the thread 'What's the next best Pink Floyd song after Shine on you Crazy Diamond?"
  • Anonymous
    Jeez, I need to go to bed! :o
  • skyd0g
    Possibly, but which version? Mine's the Momentry Lapse of Reason recording. On vinyl.
    Cycling weakly
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    NapoleonD wrote:
    The best 6.99 I ever spent was on the Dark Side of the Moon 25th Anniversary SACD by Pink Floyd.
    Best £250 I spent was on my SACD player solely to play this!
  • skyd0g
    ...thought you were working the nightshift again. :shock:
    Cycling weakly
  • Anonymous
    Heh heh, no trying to get back to days...

It's not working!
  • skyd0g
    ...speaking of which, "Nightshift" by Siouxsie & the Banshees off the Nocturn live LP is a good 'un. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • Anonymous
    We need to start a music thread...

Right, nighty night! :o
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    dennisn wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:
    Brake pads - to Kool Stops or Swiss Stops.
    Tyres - to decent rubber of your choice.
    Saddle - to a comfy perch.
    Pedals & Shoes.

Any or all of the above for the best bang-for-your-buck! IMHO 8)

Nothing personal, but I consider the above very bad advice.
    Why would you simply replace brake pads with another brand? Who said that Campy
    or Shimano pads, that probably came with the bike, are not as good as some aftermarket
    brand? Switch to these pads? Says who? Why?
    Decent rubber? What does that mean? ....of your choice? Huh? Asking about tires on here is like asking for a list of all the major manufacturers? There is no consensus what so ever. Probably because most of it is "decent rubber".
    A comfy saddle? Now you're making sense.
    Pedals and shoes? What about them? What are you trying to say? Are to trying to say go
    out and buy new, expensive, shoes and pedals because they will........?????

Me I say replace your pads, Shimano pads are hard wearing and have poor braking power in comparison with Koolstop pads. Not only does this give you poorer braking but it also wears your rims out quickly. So change your pads and get better braking and be kind to your rims.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Hallo Grazy

I've also got a Specilaized Allez Elite & I've just swapped over the wheels & tyres for
    some secondhand Shimano R500 wheels with new Michelin Krylion tyres & It's definitely made a big improvement in my opinion.

Bike seemed to accelerate faster & also seemed easier to keep up speed.

In my case the upgrade was free as the Specilaized wheels went back on the 'donor' bike.

I couldn't say whether it was wheels or tyes which had the most effect.

I would suggest upgrading the tyres as that would be cheaper & you will still have the old tyres for spare.

Mike
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Garz wrote:
    I would get lots of riding in first and only upgrade stuff that is either uncomfortable or worn.
    I concur.

I wouldn't go spending too much on this particular set-up - go out and enjoy using it and get an appreciation of what YOU want from a bike and which could be missing from this particular one. What suits one individual may not be important to another.

That said, I'd consider buying a set of clipless pedals and shoes - these can always be swapped over to a new bike at a later date.
    If I NEEDED to make changes, I would possibly look at the following:
    Change tyres/saddle to make the ride more comfy.

Other than that, nothing. Better to save the pennies for a new bike somewhere down the track which will have a few more bells and whistles on it to your liking and a frame more worthy to invest in upgrading
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    dennisn wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:
    Brake pads - to Kool Stops or Swiss Stops.
    Tyres - to decent rubber of your choice.
    Saddle - to a comfy perch.
    Pedals & Shoes.

Any or all of the above for the best bang-for-your-buck! IMHO 8)

Nothing personal, but I consider the above very bad advice.
    Why would you simply replace brake pads with another brand? Who said that Campy
    or Shimano pads, that probably came with the bike, are not as good as some aftermarket
    brand? Switch to these pads? Says who? Why?

Salmon KoolStop are a softer compound than standard Shimano pads. They work better, ie they stop you quicker and give more modulation in the dry AND wet, and are kinder to your rims. That is why most people on here, myself included, recommend them.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    gkerr4 wrote:
    OK - perhaps 'useless' is too strong a word - but I still think that the Koolstops are a "significant" upgrade - both in terms of stopping power but also the important point of not picking up bits of swarf.

No way I'll even buy the word "significant". You can't tell me that Shimano & Campy
    are that far behind, if at all, in brake pad development. Why would two giants in bike
    components risk it all by putting pads on their components that were "significantly"
    worse than some other companies aftermarket pads? This is the one part of a bike that
    can't fail, without disastrous consequences, and to believe that they neglect this most critical area is ludicrous. I believe you have fallen for the Swiss Stop / Kool Stop advertising hype. Not saying that they are not good brakes but don't believe for a minute
    that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    sorry - but yes - "significant" upgrade.

shimano pads in particular - the amount of swarf they pick up and the difference in dry vs. wet weather performance - the koolstop salmons are a 'significant' upgrade.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Try descending the Pyrenees in the wet on Kool Stops vs Shimano pads. "Significant" does not even begin to do justice to the difference between them.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    We should quit now. We're starting to argue about brake pads, of all things. Starting to sound like a Shimano vs Campy thing. Of course, that's been settled, finally.
    I wonder if I could get an argument going about which stem is better? Or, how about,
    bar end plugs? which ones? plastic vs carbon fiber?
  • Anonymous
    The Kool Stop ones are a tiny bit better but don't last as long. Hence I've gone back to shimano.
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    dennisn wrote:
    Or, how about,
    bar end plugs? which ones? plastic vs carbon fiber?

Neither :!: Hope alloy plugs are the best - they look the mutts nutts, aren't too stupidly priced, fit well and aren't plastic (cheap) or carbon (look fake) :lol:
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    The Kool Stop ones are a tiny bit better but don't last as long. Hence I've gone back to shimano.

NapD has a nice way of firmly, but politely, putting an end to further arguing.........rather like a policeman.......
  • gkerr4
    Mothyman wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

NapD has a nice way of firmly, but politely, putting an end to further arguing.........rather like a policeman.......

he may well have a polite but firm method - but sadly he's wrong - koolstops are significantly better than shitmano pads.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    gkerr4 wrote:
    he may well have a polite but firm method - but sadly he's wrong - koolstops are significantly better than shitmano pads.
    They may be better but the OP (and others) would like to know without getting caught up in this petty conflict is 'do the koolstop brakepads offer significant improvement to bike ride efficiency or ride comfort' to be a worthwhile upgrade? The answer has to be no!!
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    How come the koolstops are such a disgusting colour? I have never owned anything salmon coloured in my entire life.
    Apart from a tin of salmon.
  • Grazy81
    Grazy81 Posts: 196
    Mikelyons wrote:
    Hallo Grazy

I've also got a Specilaized Allez Elite & I've just swapped over the wheels & tyres for
    some secondhand Shimano R500 wheels with new Michelin Krylion tyres & It's definitely made a big improvement in my opinion.

In my case the upgrade was free as the Specilaized wheels went back on the 'donor' bike.

I would suggest upgrading the tyres as that would be cheaper & you will still have the old tyres for spare.

Mike

Did they change the comfort and feel of the bike
  • gkerr4
    Grazy81 wrote:
    Mikelyons wrote:
    Hallo Grazy

Mike

Did they change the comfort and feel of the bike

no - no they did not.

Phew - that's put that one to bed then.
  • skyd0g
    sturmey wrote:
    How come the koolstops are such a disgusting colour? I have never owned anything salmon coloured in my entire life.
    Apart from a tin of salmon.

Yes, that frock you had on at the weekend was more a "peach" colour, I'd say. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Yes, that frock you had on at the weekend was more a "peach" colour, I'd say.

Thanks for that Skydog.