The great Bikeradar pub quiz

takethehighroad
takethehighroad Posts: 6,649
edited September 2009 in The bottom bracket
OK so this could either be a big success or fall flat on it's arse.

One person posts a trivia question, preferably about cycling.

First person to reply with the right answer gets to post a new question for everyone.

I'll start with a simple one, name the two cyclists to have done "The Triple Crown" of Giro, Tour and World Championships in the same season.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Merckx and Roche
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Who was the first rider to win De Ronde van Vlaanderen three consecutive times?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Eddy Merckx and Stephen Roche.

Edit - Bugger!!
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686

Magni, Fiorenzi

OK, next question for you to google:

Which early Tour de France winner helped cyclo-cross to become popular, by crediting his success to doing cyclo-cross during the winter?
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    johnfinch wrote:

Magni, Fiorenzi

OK, next question for you to google:

Which early Tour de France winner helped cyclo-cross to become popular, by crediting his success to doing cyclo-cross during the winter?

Octave Lapize. Yes I did Google it! I had no idea cyclo cross was even a recognized term in 1910.

Who holds the record for the ascent of the Alpe d'Huez and what was his time. Should be no googling necessary. :wink:
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    Hmm!! Not much of a knowledge quiz, because all people will do is google the question before they post the answer! Even I'd get 100% every time.
    Dave
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    skinson wrote:
    Hmm!! Not much of a knowledge quiz, because all people will do is google the question before they post the answer! Even I'd get 100% every time.
    Dave

I agree Dave, but I suppose we don't have to join in do we! :wink:

Anyway, if I enter and win here's what my question will be - What's best Shimano or Campag?. Try Googling that!! :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    :D Yeah! Or, Does God really exist???
    Dave
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    pedylan wrote:
    Who holds the record for the ascent of the Alpe d'Huez and what was his time. Should be no googling necessary. :wink:

I'm pretty sure it's Pantani, I did cheat and google the time though, which is open to some debate (depending on where timing begins / ends) but is between 36:40 and 37:35, depending on the source.

OK - so here's my question: Who is the only British rider to have won a three-week tour? Which tour? And who did he ride for?
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Is it Ian Steel (1952 Peace Race, riding for a GB national squad)?

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    Is it Ian Steel (1952 Peace Race, riding for a GB national squad)?

David

Good call but no. The Peace Race isn't over three weeks. The race is question here is (was), and is for professionals...
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Ash_ wrote:
    OK - so here's my question: Who is the only British rider to have won a three-week tour? Which tour? And who did he ride for?

Good question.
    Answer: Cayn Theakston, Volta a Portugal, Louletano/Vale do Lobo.

Next question:

Who is the only Tour de France winner to have never won any stage of any Tour de France?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No googling but I'm saying Walkowiak.
  • Art Vandelay
    Correct. Bonus point for being quick and no googling.

Smart ass :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Hmmm, must think of a question!

Stand by...
  • Anonymous
    This should require no googling either-

Who crossed the line celebrating their 'win' in the 2008 Giro di Lombardia only to find Cunego had already finished ahead of him out of sight?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    NapoleonD wrote:
    This should require no googling either-

Who crossed the line celebrating their 'win' in the 2008 Giro di Lombardia only to find Cunego had already finished ahead of him out of sight?

Brajkovic?
  • Anonymous
    2008_giro_di_lombardia_tour_of_lombardy_janez_brajkovic_raises_arms_ahead_of_rigoberto_uran.jpg

Woo hoo! We have a, erm, winner?
  • afx237vi
    Maybe he knew and was just reaaaaally happy to be on the podium. Or not...

Next question: Which rider from the 1980s failed a dope test and blamed the result on doped-up racing pigeons that his father-in-law had fed to him in a pie?
  • Anonymous
    No way!
  • Anonymous
    Awesome stuff, I have the answer but it was googled. Quality story!
  • I don't know the answer but it's similar to the story of Leukemans a couple of years ago who blamed his failed test for testosterone on the fcat that he was having sex with his wife at the time the testers came round!!!
  • Art Vandelay
    Had to google this as well so I won't take the honours. I reckon his excuse was true in this case - Strychnine use in cycling must have died out by WW2.
  • afx237vi
    Hmm, so no-one knows? Surprising!

It was Adri van der Poel.

OK, who holds the record for the most lanterne rouge finishes in the Tour de France?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Jacky Jurand ??
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • afx237vi
    edhornby wrote:
    Jacky Jurand ??

No. More recent.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Wim Vansevenant won a record consecutive three LRs
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Definitely Vansevenant.

I think...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • afx237vi
    Yep, three years in a row for Vansevenant. Your turn Jez.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Ok ermmm, who's won Paris Roubaix the most times. (sorry it's not particularly imaginative!)
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live