Oil on "the misses" carpet!

zedders
zedders Posts: 509
edited August 2009 in The bottom bracket
Been in the garage today whilst the misses was at work all day. Changed my BB and cleaned my chain and chain rings etc. But somewhere along the line I stepped in a a bit of oil, and accidentially trod it up the stairs when I popped inside! I never noticed it until 10 mins before misses Zed returned home! She went ape! :(

Its Fenwick wet lube and the marks are black! I done a bit of research on the net, and there's all sorts of answers. But what is the best way to get oil out of a carpet?

The best one I saw was pour a bit of wiskey on the stain, then drink the rest of the bottle - vola. Stain gone? :D

But seriously. Any sugguestions? There must be one or two of you out there that have "been there - done that?"

Cheers Zedders
"I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    You need a new carpet.

You'll never be allowed to forget your unforgiveable mishap and even if you do get rid of it she'll remember where it was and pretend she can still see it. I'm afraid you'll just have to put it down as a heavy defeat in the ongoing war that is marriage.

Bet she will be bringing it up everytime you have a row for the next 20 years. You have seriously fecked up there son.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    You need a new carpet.

Naaah, that's just prolonging the agony - he needs a new wife :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    edited August 2009
    I use shaving foam, and then one of these
    http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/carpet-c ... ifications

It has saved my life more than once. :shock:
    bagpuss
  • I know its bit boring but the best carpet cleaner is a Spray moose made by stickitac.
    Really good cleaner. Smells nice too! :D
    Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 2009
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    use white spirit and dab it with a clean cloth. Use carpet cleaner after that. And pray....
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    festing11 wrote:
    I know its bit boring but the best carpet cleaner is a Spray moose made by stickitac.
    Really good cleaner. Smells nice too! :D
    Look, the boy needs sensible advice on how to survive the wrath of his Mrs. The carpet is already lost, getting it clean or not won't reverse the massive moral high ground that's been handed to the other side.

Have you thought of suicide?

Even if she's pleased to see the back of you the smile will soon be wiped off her face when she tries to cash in on the insurance and finds an exclusion clause if you die by your own hand.

Bit drastic I know, but at least you'll have the last laugh.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Rub neat washing up liquid into the stain,rinse and repeat. It works on sea birds but you won't have to release your carpet back into the wild! :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • zedders
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Have you thought of suicide?

Even if she's pleased to see the back of you the smile will soon be wiped off her face when she tries to cash in on the insurance and finds an exclusion clause if you die by your own hand. Bit drastic I know, but at least you'll have the last laugh.

I have. And it is the only sensible logical solution granted. However for the sake of my unborn child which is due in a few weeks I can't.

• Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Any oil-based cleaning wipes (such as make up remover wipes or baby wipes) or "clean" oill,will dilute and remove dirty oil. Wipes are best for small marks though, not huge spills. White spirit is oily, so will work fine, but will also stink to high heaven. I'd suggest dabbing with a clean non stinky cooking oil such as grapeseed, almond or rice bran oil. You can use a cloth to soak up the clean oil afterwards. Then a warm damp cloth and tiny amount of mild detergent such as washing up liquid, may be used to remove the final smears of clean oil afterwards.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    If its just on one stair, just replace it.
  • zedders
    Just for everyones information:

I only saw a coulpe or three marks. The misses found & counted 9! 7 on the stairs, one on the top landing and one in the front box bedroom. I wasn't going to argue. No fkin way.

I really don't want to replace the carpet, its only about 6 - 9 months old, and we are saving for our new arrival. The only saving grace is she said - "Don't fkin touch it. I'll sort it out when am in a better mood."

I think the stairs will survive. Box bedrooms going to cost me 250 big ones. :cry: There goes my budget on the bike for a couple of months or so :evil:

• Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    You gotta turn the tables on her! & quick!!

Ask her where has she been all day? And with who?!!! (it's irrelevant she's been to work)
    Ask her why did she not bother to call?

If she counted 9 she obviously is exaggerating the situation to take the attention away from her!

Check the car, make sure there's no dings etc!
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Um, are you going to alter your sig to "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza and Carpets"?

Best of luck with the impending event. Women can be a little "hormonal" at this time and have a point of view which us chaps find odd. Fortunately this is just a phase and she will be able to see the matter in proportion in about twenty years :wink:

Vanish is good (the stain remover, not doing a runner)
    The older I get the faster I was
  • stuff it get to pub before last orders worry about it tomorrow PM
    Life is not a spectator sport
  • Walk round all your rooms and claim for carpets throughout the hous on the insurance, then you've got new carpets in every room for the cost of your excess. RESULT.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Walk round all your rooms and claim for carpets throughout the hous on the insurance, then you've got new carpets in every room for the cost of your excess. RESULT.

Check your insurance covers you first

Check your insurance covers you first

Yes, good idea. I'd be covered though. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • reminds me of people in work saying phoned inscurance the children have spilt glosss paint on suite after you say i am covered
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Help is at hand email ask Aggie (How clean is your house? fame). Lay it on thick about you being in the dog house with your preggers missus IMHO.

aggie.mackenzie@thetimes.co.uk

BTW what colour are your carpets?

My Mum used to use lighter fuel as it is very light and leaves little residue. My old man was frequently leaving oily deposits on the carpets :wink: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Ha! You are expecting and she's worried about a little oil on the carpet?

Housepride(?) and babies do not go together.

My son is 9. I figure another couple of years and we might think about carpets/furniture.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Draw all over the walls alongside the stairs in crayons of several contrasting colours. It's what your child will do one day. Suggested subjects - trees, mummy, daddy, house (smoke out of chimney optional), a big red bus etc.. Specific detail and accuracy are not as important as the flair and passion you put into it. I find a half-bottle of unbranded whiskey particularly inspirational. Simply tell the missus you're laying a path for the childs future artistic education.

Before you know it, she will have forgotten all about the little marks in the carpet and be proud of your foresight and thought on your childs' upbringing. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • zedders
    Nice comments dudes!

I just read some of them to the misses. She's off to work again in a bit. It was a brave call to try and get her to lighten up a bit, and by the time I got to crayons on the walls she started to see the funny side of it! See you good people out there can help sometimes! :shock:

She suggested I email Aggie & check the house insurance.

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    You could take the other approach to getting her to lighten up and show her a story about someone who lost their home with their loved ones still inside to a mudslide and point out a few small stains on a bloody carpet are small beer. Seriously, if you've got good health with a baby on the way why the hell worry because it just isn't worth it.