Waterproof jacket

MulletX
MulletX Posts: 27
edited August 2009 in Road buying advice
I need a new waterproof jacket to keep me dry on my commute and also on long winter rides. What would you recommend??

Comments

• andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Altura Reflex at about £80. Comletely waterproof and very breathable. Zips can stick abit tho, I stick a bit of gt85 on 'em .

Andy
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    You can use candle wax for zips as it is easy to use and easy to get it where you need too.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sicknote wrote:
    You can use candle wax for zips as it is easy to use and easy to get it where you need too.

Careful you don't burn a hole in your jacket though :wink::)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    And remember...

Wax on, wax off
  • the train
    Life is not a spectator sport
  • sicknote
    I had almost forgot what a P taking bunch us all were :wink:
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Altura Night Vision Waterproof jacket - well rated - on offer @ Merlin Cycles
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/cycle-clothing/cycling-outer-jackets/altura-night-vision-waterproof-jacket.html
    Plenty of reflective stuff for the *ugh* winter nights :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    £5 fine for skydog for mentioning winter
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • MulletX
    MulletX Posts: 27
    Thanks chaps.... are the Altura jackets good for longer winter rides? One other point I failed to mention was the packed-down size of the jacket. Does the Altura fold down small enough to fit into a jersey pocket?

Loving the candle and Karate-Kid gags ;)
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    They do pack away ok. Personally I don't wear this jacket unless it's raining when I set off. I stick an Altura Strada race cape in the jersey pocket in case I get get caught in the rain whilst I'm out.

I'm gonna try the candle wax zip technique. I'll have the missus standing by with a fire extinguisher in case it all goes a bit wrong.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    maddog 2 wrote:
    £5 fine for skydog for mentioning winter

...sorry, I meant "dark" :D
    Cycling weakly
  • sicknote
    andy162 wrote:
    They do pack away ok. Personally I don't wear this jacket unless it's raining when I set off. I stick an Altura Strada race cape in the jersey pocket in case I get get caught in the rain whilst I'm out.

I'm gonna try the candle wax zip technique. I'll have the missus standing by with a fire extinguisher in case it all goes a bit wrong.

Try with out lighting first and hope you could not need the missus.
    Fingers crossed :wink:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW even the most breathable waterproof jacket is still going to create a sweaty fug when cycling at any effort - the consequence is perspiration inside the jacket which dampens your underlayer and can accelerate a chill. Experience suggest that a warm, windproof layer is far more effective in anything but torrential rainfall - it keeps the chill out but still keeps you warm. When you're working hard, you barely notice the damp as long as you're warm. By all means carry a waterproof - one that packs down small into your rear pocket.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I went the softshell route (Endura Stealth) for winter waterproof, glad I did to. Nice and warmth but still pretty breathable it works great when it's just cold to and none of the flapping etc you get or normal jackets.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Gore paclites are excellent.
    Fold up small, 100% waterproof and breathable.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Endura Stealth is a good shout but at a cost. I have the Endura Windchill (budget version of the Stealth) and it's great in anything but torrential downpours.