Giant Rapid

Stuartyboy
Stuartyboy Posts: 22
edited November 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I was told by Giant UK that the new FCR (Rapid) would be available from 24 Aug. This has happened. Im very disappointed as i have held of buying any other bike in favour of the Giant.

Now I've read on the BR news about the new Rapid etc but there is no release date. Anybody got any ideas and if it aint anytime soon then any decent alternatives to the FCR Alliance. The new purchase is preparation for the C2C

Regards

Stu
Giant Propel Advanced 3
Giant Defy 0
Giant Rapid Advanced 0 Road
Scott CR1 SL

Comments

• tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    edited November 2012
    Hi Stu,

The Giant Rapid (replacement for the FCR) is definitely out. I saw some at the Giant Concept Store in Bristol about 7 days ago.

The shaping of the top tube is lurrvely, and makes the bike look......well .....rapid!
    I looked at the Rapid Advanced. Fantastic in terms of geometry, components and design.
    Blue & white in colour, Ultegra groupo (incl. crankset, brakes etc). Full carbon frame(but allu handlebar and stem). £1700!!

Also saw the Rapid 1. Allu frame + seat stays, carbon fork, tiagra/105 mix of groupo.

Regards,
    Tonye
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    I work part time in a Giant dealer and I'm pretty sure that there is availability on at least some sizes of the Rapid. If in doubt just ring giant though. The number is on the website and they're dead friendly.
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • Tonye & Incog,

Many thanks for the replies! After a bit of patience and checking the Giant website every day much to my delight they have appeared!

Went to my local dealer and hooray! Ordered the Rapid Advanced!! (After savin a few pennies over the months!)

Friday should have it Tues 08 ready to pick up! Buzzin! In the process now reverting my Terrago back to its original MB status after having it tripped out as a roadie! Thanks again for the replies, appreciated!

Regards

Stu
    Giant Propel Advanced 3
    Giant Defy 0
    Scott CR1 SL
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    What's the point of a flat barred roadie?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Personal preference really. Sorry.

Edit: Picked up the Rapid Advanced today and been out for a bit of a blast on it. Fantastic. Another quality bike from Giant.
    Giant Propel Advanced 3
    Giant Defy 0
    Scott CR1 SL
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    edited November 2012
    Stu,
    I envy you. Gosh what a bike that must be!! Let us know how you get on.

gabriel959, don't want to get into this flat-bar vs drop-bar roadie argument which has been flogged to death on mbr-uk and other forums. But I have got both....Ridgeback Flight T3 and Spesh Roubaix.

If your commute takes you in and out of traffic and is not ubber long (24miles plus). The flat-bar provides superb dexterity in terms of visibility, braking in traffic and removing your hands from harms way(car mirrors and the like). I find mine much more convenient than drops for commuting.
  • gabriel959
    I disagree but hey that’s me – flat bars are usually longer than drop down bars and not as easily manoeuvrable as drop bars either. I think if you are not particularly confident with the bike they can appear easier but I find them cumbersome and slow and a problem in heavy traffic too.

For me anything more than 3 or 4 miles on a flat bar is uncomfortable for the limited amount of hand positions – I commute in traffic with my drop bar roadie and I find it perfect but hey each to their own, they seem to have a market for them so I am not complaining, at the end of the day is better to have more cyclists on the road.

24 miles plus is a very long commute IMO – anything 10+ (both ways) I think should be done on a proper road bike for comfort :) They should be called fast hybrids anyway :D
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • timb64
    timb64 Posts: 248
    I don't get this obsession with variety of hand positions making drops more comfortable.The implication is that they are inherantly uncomfortable so you need to alter position.
    If you really do need to vary position with flat bars, fit bar ends then you've effectively got the same choice of positions.
    I regularly ride 50-60 miles with flat bars and don't experience any problems.
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    I....For me anything more than 3 or 4 miles on a flat bar is uncomfortable for the limited amount of hand positions ...

Do you get that uncomfortable that quickly?
  • gabriel959
    I think it is just the fact that I don't like being in the same position for long, more than any real discomfort.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • I have a Scott S30 Roadster with flat bars - I find the bars are uncomfortable as the standard width. They definitely place your hands further apart than a drop handlebar.

Simple solution is to chop about 1.5 inches off either end. That for me is perfect compromise on a 6 mile commute in london. Been in too many near-scrapes with a drop handlebar when I needed to get to the brakes straight away but my hands weren't in the right position...
  • tonye_n wrote:
    Stu,
    I envy you. Gosh what a bike that must be!! Let us know how you get on.

gabriel959, don't want to get into this flat-bar vs drop-bar roadie argument which has been flogged to death on mbr-uk and other forums. But I have got both....Ridgeback Flight T3 and Spec Roubaix.

If your commute takes you in and out of traffic and is not ubber long (24miles plus). The flat-bar provides superb dexterity in terms of visibility, braking in traffic and removing your hands from harms way(car mirrors and the like). I find mine much more convenient than drops for commuting.

Hey Tonye-n,

A quick update on the Rapid! Its a dream to ride did the C2C in October on it with no major problems apart from some severe brake wear! The ride was comfortable enough for the duration although on certain parts i wish i had as lightly lower gear for hill climbing!!!!!

I will mention however that i had several problems with the factory lasced Mavic CXP22 rear rim. After just 50 mile riding on the bike the spokes became really loose. after a trip to the dealer he retightened and a feww days later the same thing.

My Giant dealer is superb and immediately contacted Giant direct to see if he could replace the Mavics with a hand built Shimano set. i liked the look of the black rims though and we agreed that he would relace the rim with new spokes and use the traditional lace pattern and not the radial pattern that came with the rim. Perhaps it was my heavier frame that had a part to play but in the end i did the trick. the rim is as taught as ya like.

Ive been so impressed wit the new range from Giant that i bought my lass the Giant Dash - she couldnt help but like the Rapids looks and wanted something similar and she too is pleased with the female specific Dash. Its worth mentioning that the Aluxx frame of the Dash is as light as my Rapid Advanced. It really took me by surprise just how light those new Aluxx frames are.

Im still lovin the bike and Im glad i have it. Its certainly increased my fitness over the past few months.So ive got the bug and im in the market for a new MTB and yes its gonna be a Giant Trance X1. Roll on February!

Thanks for everyones input reference the whole Flat vs. drop issue aswell! Each to their own as i think thats about the one thing everyone can agree on!

Happy riding!

Regards

Stu
    Giant Propel Advanced 3
    Giant Defy 0
    Scott CR1 SL