Wire vs folding?

canada16
canada16 Posts: 2,360
edited August 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hey

I was thinking about buying some race kings but dont want to splash out for the folding as they are like triple the price of the wire.

Apart from the almost 100gr you will save, any other difference in buying wire?

As I have only owned folding.

Thanks.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No difference apart from weight, BUT, I've found that wire bead tyres are damn near impossible to seat in a tubeless setup.

Other than that, I've never really understood why we'd need folding tyres on MTBs. Or road bikes, to be honest.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Quite often the carcass and rubber is of higher quality too. Though do check.

I think they are worth the extra - 20 quid to save 100g rotating weight, when people will pay 100 quid to save it on the wheels ;-)

You can get them cheaper in some places too.
  • Anonymous
    Well, that's me out then Sonic. Weight is not a consideration for me on parts, only how strong they are!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lol, the kevlar may well be stronger than the wire ;-)

Some strange people actually do take spare tyres on their rides - hence folding tyres fit in the backpack. If going to that length for possible breakages you might as well tow another bike with you.
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    Lol, the kevlar may well be stronger than the wire ;-)

Some strange people actually do take spare tyres on their rides - hence folding tyres fit in the backpack. If going to that length for possible breakages you might as well tow another bike with you.
    Quite.
    The only reason I can see for carrying an extra tyre with you is if you're riding across Africa, or something like that.
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    Uhm.

I thought they would have been made out of the same rubber.

Cant afford 30odd quid right now, and my panaracer fire xc are ok for now, just a bit slow on the road, but nothing to major.

Thanks guys, maybe will ask for x-mas.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Folding tyres usually have a higher TPI (Threads Per Inch in the carcass) rating, which gives a more supple tyre, which gives more grip.

As Sonic says they do sometimes have a different rubber compound too (Panaracer Fire XC wire & folding do for sure)

Folding tyres over wire bead every time for me. Cheapest way to lose ~1/2lb in weight

Just bought a folding Nevegal DTC for the rear of my bike, £22.05 (Wiggle) to go with the folding Nevegal Stick E up front £20.69 (Wiggle)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg