dodgy ticker

2»

Comments

• Ghengis
    Ghengis Posts: 90
    I had a similar thing when I was a youngster and at 21 was diagnosed with Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome which sounds very similar to Rolf F's diagnosis.
    There was a lot of talk of pacemakers for me also but eventually they chose to try and fix it by zapping the problem area using a catheter inserted into an artery in the groin. This was unsucessful but they did manage to sort me out with a bit of open heart surgery. 18 years later and I'm still in decent shape ( I could be fitter but that's due to too many pies and not enough exercise :D ). Seriously though trust the doctors they did some great work on me and transformed my life. Before I was diagnosed and fixed I couldn't ever rule out a fainting episode and some seriously painful palpitations.

I hope all goes well for you and I'm sure you'll be fine and back on the bike before you know it.
    Nearly there, just over this hill and round the next corner...

2005 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • Now that you mention this, there was a moment when I was in the ressucitation room ("just in case") when one of my doctors went over to a PC a few feet away. I could clearly see the screen and she clearly pulled up Wikipedia. Before returning to my bedside to reassure me not to worry and to go on to provide a partial diagnosis....

If she was looking at Wiki, she was a consultant. Doctors are only allowed to use Google.

FACT.
    Simon the Pieman,iIt was True Blood, the last episode from Friday night on FX, which my wife had recorded. It's a pretty good show, you should check it out. It was just after the bit when they snort some vampire blood mixed with aspirin. 7/10 on the gory scale. Anyone see it?

Oh, oh, celeb name-drop: I know Steve (that what the male lead's called in real life). His son is in my elder daughter's class at school. And she's had afternoon tea with him and Anna Paquin (whom she really only knows as Rogue from the X Men movies, and who's shy as hell).

Funny ol' world. When daughter #1 started at that school, Steve was still a jobbing actor, picking up roles in Casualty. Now he lives in LA and dates an Oscar winning actress.

Sending my kids to that school hasn't done sh!t for me!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    Oh, oh, celeb name-drop: I know Steve (that what the male lead's called in real life). His son is in my elder daughter's class at school. And she's had afternoon tea with him and Anna Paquin (whom she really only knows as Rogue from the X Men movies, and who's shy as hell).

Funny ol' world. When daughter #1 started at that school, Steve was still a jobbing actor, picking up roles in Casualty. Now he lives in LA and dates an Oscar winning actress.

:lol:

Yes, but is his life enriched to the degree that comes from owning two Cervelos?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

:lol:

Yes, but is his life enriched to the degree that comes from owning two Cervelos?

No, but he gets by knowing a bloke who has two Cervelos :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Wise man say "Better to own two Cervelos that to be a rich talented actor living in LA " :twisted:
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:

And Lost in Austen!!! It's been bugging the almighty cr@p out of me where I'd seen him before, and he was in that. A (female) colleague, who appeared to swoon a little, just mentioned it. I feel better now. Carry on, everyone. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • So I see the consultant this morning and as expected I am to be fitted with a pacemaker tomorrow. I have a super-low heart beat (about 40bpm resting) and sometimes it drops right down into the low 20s. The pacemaker will kick in at 30bpm (and/or when heart "pauses") and will prevent any dizzy spells and/or fainting.

Otherwise everything should be fairly normal apart from I will not longer be able to shoot a shotgun left handed, go boxing or be too close to an industrial scale magnet. Which seeing as my real name is James Bond is pretty darned inconvenient. No really.

Back on the bike next week hopefully, bit longer before I imagine I will be able to manage a day at work....
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Wow, that's a fast turnaround (probably the wrong term!) time.

Hope it all goes well for you.
  • So I see the consultant this morning and as expected I am to be fitted with a pacemaker tomorrow. I have a super-low heart beat (about 40bpm resting) and sometimes it drops right down into the low 20s. The pacemaker will kick in at 30bpm (and/or when heart "pauses") and will prevent any dizzy spells and/or fainting.

Otherwise everything should be fairly normal apart from I will not longer be able to shoot a shotgun left handed, go boxing or be too close to an industrial scale magnet. Which seeing as my real name is James Bond is pretty darned inconvenient. No really.

Back on the bike next week hopefully, bit longer before I imagine I will be able to manage a day at work....

Don't forget the little card you get to flash when you set off the metal detectors at airports.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Holy crap! Get well soon SoL.

What does a pace maker look like these days, do they still look like a box of matches under the skin on your chest?
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • In terms of size this will give you a good idea. In real-world terms, think of a Zippo lighter but slightly thinner and only visible if you're very, very slim.
  • Glad to hear your ok mate - hope you're back on the bike soon :)
  • cjcp
    Good luck tomorrow, SoL.

Yeah, no need to rush back to work :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • All the best and hope your fighting fit soon!
    Was diagnosed with pericarditis once and it scared the sheet out of me, know what you must be going through - great to hear how positive you feel about it 8)
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Ahh, ya big jessy!

I've swooned a couple of times recently.

Fixed that for you.

Shoulder, hope this isn't as serious as it sounds. Best of luck.
  • 40 bpm! Only had that when coming out of an op.

Good to hear on mend and I think a -2 FCN would take care of the bionic enhancments...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Good luck shoulder, hope you r back on the bike soon :lol:

And stay off work as long as you can, seriously work sucks big time, it's no fun at all if you're not up to it and don't want to be there :twisted:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Ahh, ya big jessy!

I've swooned a couple of times recently.

Fixed that for you.

Yeah, but only when walking past a mirror. Obv.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Had my op this afternoon. It went well if a bit disconcerting when they were screwing wires in and out of my heart attempting to get them in the right place.

I am now officially bionic.

And unless you can see any outward sign of it, you cannot claim any FCN adjustments. I know how this works and I'm not taking any penalties.

Watch out.:
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    I'm glad to hear you're so chipper already. But how come you were awake while they put the thing in - what type of anasthetic did they use?

Good luck with it all.
  • it's much safer under local anaesthetic. they also needed my cooperation at various points as they use an x-ray to guide the wire in, occassionally they would ask me to "cough", "turn on my side" and, bizarrely "pant like a dog". I think this was to ensure the wire was firmly in place.
  • cjcp
    Glad to hear it went well. :)

Is this a Performance Enhancer? If so, I think we need an adjudication.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • it's not a performance enhancer. it just stops my heart rate dropping too low. when I am cycling my heart rate is elevated, so it shouldn't make any difference at all. apart from the extra weight I am carrying of course....

in any case, the fcn is not really about performance, it's about what makes you look faster, wraparounds, tdf jersey etc don't make you faster, they just make you look faster.
  • cjcp
    But you've admitted to the world that you're now bionic :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • There's never a UCI Comissaire around when you need one. An adjudication is clearly urgently required, so (it being the UCI ) you won't get one :twisted:

Glad you are on the mend. Have you thought about a holiday in Mexico? You could then go training in the Dolomites :? Oops, beaten to it :)
    The older I get the faster I was