bontrager xdx or blue panaracer fire xc pro?

projectsome
projectsome Posts: 4,478
edited August 2009 in MTB buying advice
The bike I'm getting has bontrager xdx tires on bontrager rangers rims.

I was thinking of getting some blue fire xc pro's. are the fire xc pros much better? i'm not gonna buy tires if there isn't a noticable difference.

*also save posting a new topic. what are the bontrager ranger rims like? i can't find anything post 2006
FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!

Comments

• Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Personally i would look at this tyre, it's meant to grip better and roll better than the fire xc, i got them fitted but won't be testing until tomorrow but they already look incredibly grippy.

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/112752.html

Here's some reviews to wet your appetite.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheel ... 51crx.aspx
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    I found no confidence at all in the XDX tyres (came with my Hifi Pro) and I changed them very quickly. They are fast tyres on dry hardpack but they are prone to sliding. Not so bad to deal with on the rear but the front wants to slide all the time too :shock:

Heard lots of good things about the Fire xc, though every tyre type seems to have a fan on here and there is no such recommended best tyre :( I fitted Conti Vertical Pros and am loving them; very grippy on the bends, not too draggy and quite light for their size, pattern and protection.
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    I got the panny's and they have worn amazing on the tarmac and have taken them to cwmcarn and afan and they have not let me down.

I might try conti's next time, maybe race king or something as I commute during the week.
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Im on Panaracer Fire XC Pros, good all round tyre. With a high Psi they roll fairly well and grip well when a little softer. Perfect for me really.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    I have some red panaracer fire xc pro's on which I've used on my current bike.

I've not got my bike yet so haven't tried the xdx tires.

the frame on the new bike is blue hence wanting blue tires.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!