So after 5000 miles or so...

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
....my Shimano FC 4550-S crank's got play in it ; lateral wobble when I push on the pedal arm.

What will I have to replace though, the whole arm assembly or just the cups?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shima ... 360027350/

And I tried to take the cups off the other day, with one of these http://www.parktool.com/products/detail ... item=BBT-9 but they didn't budge and I was putting a lot of force down.

Can somebody do it for me?

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Remember the drive side cup has a left handed thread, so needs to be loosened by turning clockwise.
  • prj45
    Yeah, but I starting out trying to undo the opposite side (you have to) and I was turning that anti clockwise, and it wasn't budging.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Just the cups should be okay - it'll be the bearings that have developed play.

Soak it in WD40 or something overnight.
  • prj45
    Ta, it's only recently been reinstalled due to a frame change (although I had noticed slight play before the frame went away).

So I figure they shop's put locking solution on the threads, will try the WD40.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    prj45 wrote:
    Ta, it's only recently been reinstalled due to a frame change (although I had noticed slight play before the frame went away).

So I figure they shop's put locking solution on the threads, will try the WD40.

Hmm, threadlock shouldn't stop you undoing it - it's to stop it from shaking loose because of vibrations (bottom bracket threads should be greased, not threadlocked, anyway).
  • prj45
    Aidy wrote:
    (bottom bracket threads should be greased, not threadlocked, anyway).

(I know that, you know that) :lol:
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    How long should something like this last for? 5000 miles sounds pretty good in my book.
    Shazam !!
  • prj45
    5000 miles with what I put bikes through is pretty good (the frame cracked before the bearings in the bottom braket went too far and I've been through three or four wheels, three chains a year and several pairs of gloves).

The new cups I got today only cost about 15 squid or so.