Alps end of Sept

DTH
DTH Posts: 303
edited September 2009 in Tour & expedition
Can anyone give me a god idea of the weather conditions to expect in the Alps at the end of Sept.We are riding from Geneva To Monte Carlo, taking in as many of the bike Cols as we can.
Cheers

Dave
if it\'s not dripping of your nose, your not trying!

Comments

• ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    We cycled from Geneva to Nice over the last three weeks of september in 2006, weather was mostly pretty good although top of Galibier was in mist and quite cold and descent off Col de Cayolle was also very cold in summer clothing. Col de la Bonnette Restefond was closed due to snow after two days of bad weather so we had to go via the Cayolle. Otherwise it was fine, couple of rainy days but mostly pleasant warm sunshine.
    Photos here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/rualexande ... 87/detail/
  • Just make sure you've got some adequate clothing with you, in case it turns bad.

We went up the Iseran at the beginning of Sept a couple of years ago. It was 22'c in Bourg St Maurice, but was about -5'c at top of Iseran, with the wind chill. :!:

We're off next week to the Alps, and I will certainly be prepared :D
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • DTH
    DTH Posts: 303
    Thanks guys

got to admit, didn't think it would be that cold, will be packing a bit of winter kit with us.

Cheers
    if it\'s not dripping of your nose, your not trying!
  • about to ask the same question as i'm going 25th sept to 3 oct (i had to cancel and postpone owing to sudden blurry vision). i'll be going over madeleine and iseran but never considered the possibility of cols being closed this early. is this a real possibility or a bit of a freak event?
    i was so furious after being told i should not go that i rode the next four days like a crazed madman as if the devil himself were on my wheels and shouting "come on you stupid slow coach get on with it". then i thought this might not be a bad way to train so i've been doing 1 1/4 to 11/2 hour rides going like absolute stink taking hills in pushing rather than spinning gears. think i've benefitted loads
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Last year the first heavy snowfalls which blocked some passes in the French and Swiss Alps came at the end of October, but you have to be prepared for occasional cold spells and snowfalls before then.

I’ve been in the French and Swiss Alps in September, and the southern Dolomites in October, when temperatures up the top of cols have reached as high as 20+ deg C in the middle of the day, but I’ve also experienced other conditions.
    - in early Sept 10 years ago, I wanted to drive over the Stelvio but really heavy snowfalls (4-6 ft) caused a snow avalanche just above the village of Trafoi (1300 m) and the road was blocked for a couple of hours until bulldozers cleared a path through.
    - I’ve met snow in the northern Dolomites in mid-October. The passes stayed open and were rideable, but not with pleasure as it was also freezing mist.
    -this last Friday night I was staying at 1650 m altitude in the Swiss Alps and awoke to find snow on the ground outside, only 1-2” up to 2000 m but on higher ground apparently 6-8”. Below 2000 m it has probably now all melted away, but it’s best to be prepared for such, even if it’s only temporary.

Most main passes aren’t normally blocked until November or December, if at all, but small high passes may be closed already in October. This often includes the Izouard as there’s an easier alternate route going south from Briancon.