Whites Level Trail Maintenance

gregmorris234
gregmorris234 Posts: 168
edited September 2009 in Routes
I am a regular at Glyncorrwg In Wales. I mostly ride Whites Level and recently as in August there has been some trail maintenance going on. Most of it was just cutting hedges and putting some more drainage in. The only thing they have done to improve the trail is made Goodwood (the only challenging boardwalk on the trail) safer. All the difficult to mamoevre corners have been made wider and a lot easier to ride. Fair enough if they want to attract more riders to the trail but there is an optional route that runs along this boardwalk for people who arent to keane. So why did they have to take away this challenge? Also there are signs that indicate what grade the trail is so there should be no reason why they had to take this away. Im angry! :x

Comments

• christk
    christk Posts: 122
    Agree with the main point. However it's simple. Some months ago a guy had to be air lifted out after coming off on the boardwalks. Although he may not have taken any action against the Forestry Commission the fact is they had to do something as they were then aware of its dangers which inturn leaves the door wide open to those who may wish to claim against them in the future.

Sad I know, but how many times have you been up there and pasted people who you just know shouldn't be on that trail?

It's a shame that the Forestry Commission can't name and shame these people who lodge a claim against them!
  • Thats a fair reason but they should have just indicated more how dangerous these boardwalks are. The people who shouldnt be riding the boardwalk should therefore take the optionial detour.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    i got a puncture going over the wooden bit in the whytes level, assuming it was from a nail or a bit of wire sticking up, luckily i had spare tube and made it around the wall afterwards with no other puntcures
    i think the wall is a more fun trail, much better descents, the energy section is good tho.
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • jeffers696
    jeffers696 Posts: 328
    I am a regular at Glyncorrwg In Wales. I mostly ride Whites Level and recently as in August there has been some trail maintenance going on. Most of it was just cutting hedges and putting some more drainage in. The only thing they have done to improve the trail is made Goodwood (the only challenging boardwalk on the trail) safer. All the difficult to mamoevre corners have been made wider and a lot easier to ride. Fair enough if they want to attract more riders to the trail but there is an optional route that runs along this boardwalk for people who arent to keane. So why did they have to take away this challenge? Also there are signs that indicate what grade the trail is so there should be no reason why they had to take this away. Im angry! :x

I agree with you Greg. Although some trails are difficult for your average rider Wales need to attract advanced riders. I think that Scotland has a really good idea with these little bits of trails graded black yet they have chicken routes for all of them e.g McMoab or the slab ect ect.
    Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
    OnOne 456
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I think Afan are playing it too carefully to be honest. I don't consider myself to be a great techinical rider but there's nothing on White's including the black that phases me (except for that pointy bit on the end of the boardwalk). I think difficult features with an official chicken run are the way to go. We actually did this yesterday at Gisburn, put in a sharp turn followed by a 10ft rocky slope followed by another tight turn plus an alternative that allowed you to bypass the feature.

If we're not careful everything will end up like Llandegla (not knocking Llandegla, just don't want every trail centre to be like it).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    it may have something to do with the kid at cwmcarn getting injured (someone mentioned a broken neck but i'm not sure) not sure if you know but they've taken the ladder drops away up there cos that's where he hurt himself. i believe that his dad is trying to sue the forestry commission - not 100% on this though. so maybe they're just playing safe and trying to avoid future issues. :?
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    christk wrote:
    Agree with the main point. However it's simple. Some months ago a guy had to be air lifted out after coming off on the boardwalks. Although he may not have taken any action against the Forestry Commission the fact is they had to do something as they were then aware of its dangers which inturn leaves the door wide open to those who may wish to claim against them in the future.

Sad I know, but how many times have you been up there and pasted people who you just know shouldn't be on that trail?

Just a small comment, but I have ride at Afan fairly regularly and in the past have possibly been one of the people who 'shouldn't be on the boardwalk'. But if you don't try things how do you know if you can do them or not? If everyone stuck in their comfort zone then nobody would improve or get any better.... :D

Having ridden bits and walked bits of boardwalk for most of last year, I've now mastered the whole lot (although I still don't like the pointy bits :? ), but I still have lots of empathy for those who are afew month behind me on the riding / walking phase :D

People are probably now saying similar things about me on the black runs (ie Coed Y Brenin), but again - if I don't attempt them, how will I improve?

I agree with the posts though, and i've never been tempted to sue anyone on all the ocassions i've fallen off / in something :wink: :?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    miss notax wrote:
    [I agree with the posts though, and i've never been tempted to sue anyone on all the ocassions i've fallen off / in something :wink: :?

me either. we all know the risks don't we? it's a shame if health and safety comes into action/extreme sports too much :?
  • Coed y brenin is no tougher than afan, and some points not even as tough. Notax,

But yeh there is alot of this at the moment, this whole sue people policy is ruining the organised trail centers, they soon just will not be allowed to provide the kind of riding we want because the potential of some snotty idiot crashing and sueing them flat
  • miss notax
    Coed y brenin is no tougher than afan, and some points not even as tough. Notax,

It's all down to the individual though isn't it, and what you're comfortable with and used to - personally I find it harder :D

Agreed about the American sue everyone policy!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• S1D79
    S1D79 Posts: 12
    miss notax wrote:
    christk wrote:
    Having ridden bits and walked bits of boardwalk for most of last year, I've now mastered the whole lot (although I still don't like the pointy bits :? ),

Was there at the weekend (5th Sept)! The pointy bit has gone, was there the week before(30th Aug) but now its just an undulating boardwalk.

Unconfirmed reports of someone smashing there face on it but that could just be a romour!
  • miss notax
    Ah well, at least I mastered it before they took it away then!!!

• Are you F**king serious! I've been riding Penhydd, and the Wall the last couple of times so have'nt had a chance to check it out. I'll probably be up there on Saturday to have a look! I cant believe they've done that!
  • Such is the way, with people starting to try and get money out of councils for accidents at trail centers i think we will witness the end to serious trails at trail centers, it just wont be cost efficent to do.

Shame
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    they aint changed much dont worry, they have just mellowed out the broardwalk spine bit on the black run, the other wooden bit on the xc seemed the same to me-it may be a little wider but didnt really notice
    the black section has gotten too rough at the bottom for more liking, the last big berm was way too rough on my bike to pin it hard, was like riding across a berm made from huge steps :( , i rememeber when used to be able to hammer aroud it on a hardtail.
    no-ones fault its just worn and needs some maintenance
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337