Cycling Sicily and Sardinia

Evil Don
Evil Don Posts: 2
edited September 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

New to bikeradar. My first post.

I have a 3 week cycling trip planned to Sicily and Sardina this September and I'm trying to decide how much time to spend on each island. Based on ferry schedule I could spend 2 weeks in Sicily and 1 week in Sardina, or the opposite 2 weeks in Sardina and 1 week in Sicily. Any recommendations?

Current plan is to spend 1st week in SE Sicily, then take ferry to Sardinia, spend 7 days in Sardina (probably pedal along the west coast), then return to Sicly for a few days of cycling in the west.

Thanks,
Evil

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    You could probably happily spend three weeks on either of the islands (I've been twice to Sardinia but never to Sicily).

But just to confuse the issue even further why not pop over to Corsica? (I'd go from Porto Torres to Propriano).
  • Hi, we live and cycle in Sardinia, and 10-20 years ago spent all our holidays cycle touring in southern Italy incl Sardinia and Sicily. I would advise you to choose one area of each of the each island to visit, and go to one and then to the other. Going back to Sicily wastes time IMHO is expensive and unneccesary with low cost flights.
    Current plan is to spend 1st week in SE Sicily, then take ferry to Sardinia, spend 7 days in Sardina (probably pedal along the west coast), then return to Sicly for a few days of cycling in the west.

Catania-Siracusa road passes loads of oil refineries, go inland if you go there. Sicily can be very hilly - look carefully at maps - we once worked out at our actual speed we would arrive at that night's stop 48 hrs later :roll: :roll:

In SArdinia, the nicest area for cycling, though hilliest, is around Ogliastra. We ended up coming to live here...

cheers Peter