Fox triad (stumpjumper elite) lockout problem

J55TTC
J55TTC Posts: 224
edited September 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Just took the bike out for a very gentle roll around a local lake with my 2 1/2 year old on his bike (starting him as early as possible).

I was practising some wheelies and tried locking out the rear shock only to find that it still moves - quite a lot.

Open: quite soft - compressing the suspension it will go 80%
Propedal: a bit stiffer - compressing the suspension it will go 60%
Locked out: a bit stiffer still - compressing the suspension it will go 30%

Im certian when I first picked it up 1 1/2 weeks ago the lockout on the rear locked it out fully. Ive set the pressure up according to my weight on the fox owners manual.

Or perhaps as it beds in theres some movement to be had in the shock on lockout?

I noticed the other day while giving it a wipedown after use (its only got dusty, not muddy) that there was what appeared to be a very small amount of oil leaking from the shock. Was hard to tell though as it could have been dust :?

Does this sound normal? Is there a worthwhile upgrade? :roll:

Comments

• chargedgolf
    chargedgolf Posts: 31
    edited August 2009
    As far as I know a small amount of oil (thats a small amount!) is normal, they are designed to do that, apparently it keeps the shock lubed etc????

As for the lockout, it should do exactly that-Lock Out the shock so that it is effectively a hard tail. Sounds like you have a problem with it in my opinion.
    I too have an 09 Stumpy Elite & it does lockout fully when selected.
    '00 Marin Mount Vision (now relagated to general hack!)
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper 29er to ride to the pub!
    '09 Specialized Stumpy Elite with rather a few upgraded bits!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    you should also be able to get 100% travel with it open. Something is wrong.
  • Just a thought, what the air pressure in the shock like?
    '00 Marin Mount Vision (now relagated to general hack!)
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper 29er to ride to the pub!
    '09 Specialized Stumpy Elite with rather a few upgraded bits!
  • J55TTC
    Thanks chaps, Im going to get it back to where I bought it from and see what they say.

Pressure is 150psi, correct for my weights according to the fox manual.
  • Anonymous
    You shouldn't be setting pressure according to the manual, you should set it according to sag.
  • J55TTC
    You shouldn't be setting pressure according to the manual, you should set it according to sag.

Shouldnt set it according to the fox manual ?

Ive set it according to the manual and sag is around 20-25%
  • Anonymous
    No, Fox manual is a guideline.
    Shock pressures will vary depending on frame designs, leverage etc.
    This is before you even consider the extra weight of your normal riding gear.

Correct way to set up forks or shocks is to adjust for correct sag with all your riding gear on.
    And "correct" sag can also change between bikes.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    It doesn't sound right. I;ve an 07 Stumpy Elite with a Triad. Different frame but I'm also running mine around 150 PSI so I don't think that's and issue. Mine's pretty solid when locked out. Get it back to the shop you bought it from and get them to sort it.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Anonymous
    ive owned 4 triad shocks and they all lock out completely when they should. definately go and get it looked at.
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    I've got an 09 Stumpy Elite and since I'm a bit podgy I have the rear shock set to about 150psi (for correct sag).

With the Lockout enabled it becomes like a hardtail, so I'd assume if yours still compresses a bit then it has a problem.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • J55TTC
    Well, took the bike into evans and they confirmed something was wrong.

Took the shock off and its getting sent to mojo for repair under warantee.

This is good news but now I cant ride for a week :cry:

All I can do is sit and look at the bike :(